Poetry Books about Fathers
Although mothers get many poetic tributes, fathers deserve their chance, too. Whether it’s for Father’s Day, dad’s birthday, or other occasions, sharing a poem with a focus on fathers can make for a memorable moment.
- Appelt, Kathi. 2004. My Father’s Summers: A Daughter’s Memoirs. New York: Henry Holt.
- Clifton, Lucille. 1983. Everett Anderson's Goodbye. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- Fletcher, Ralph J. 1999. Relatively Speaking: Poems about Family. New York: Orchard.
- Grimes, Nikki. 1999. Hopscotch Love: A Family Treasury of Love Poems. New York: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard.
- Grimes, Nikki. 1999. My Man Blue: Poems. New York: Dial Books.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2002. When Daddy Prays. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. 1991. Fathers, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers: A Collection of Family Poems. Boston: Joy Street.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. 2009. All Kinds of Families. New York: Little, Brown.
- Hollyer, Belinda. 2003. Ed. The Kingfisher Book of Family Poems. New York: Kingfisher.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2005. Ed. Days to Celebrate: A Full Year of Poetry, People, Holidays, History, Fascinating Facts, and More. New York: Greenwillow.
- Livingston, Myra Cohn. Ed. 1989. Poems for Fathers. New York: Holiday House.
- Micklos, John Jr. 2000. Daddy Poems. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills.
- Moss, Jeff. 1997. The Dad of the Dad of the Dad of Your Dad. New York: Ballantine.
- Rosenberg, Liz. 2001. Roots & Flowers: Poets and Poems on Family. New York: Henry Holt.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2000. Just Us Two: Poems about Animal Dads. Brookfield: Millbrook.
- Smith, Hope Anita. 2003. The Way a Door Closes. New York: Henry Holt.
- Smith, Hope Anita. 2008. Keeping the Night Watch. New York: Henry Holt.
- Steptoe, Javaka. Ed. 1997. In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers. New York: Lee & Low Books.
- Strickland, Dorothy S. and Michael R. Strickland. Eds. 1994. Families: Poems Celebrating the African-American Experience. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills.
Please let me know if I missed any of your favorites. And for more on The Poetry Teacher's Book of Lists, go here.
Meanwhile, join the Poetry Friday group hanging out at A Year of Reading.
Image credit: blogs.curtin.edu.au
Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2012. All rights reserved.
Your book is a treasure trove, Sylvia! Thanks for sharing bits and pieces here!
Thanks, Mary Lee, your compliment means a lot! And thanks for hosting and for stopping by here, too!
I will have to check out these books. I ended up writing a poem for my dad for father's day.
Post a Comment