It's time again to look forward to all the new poetry for young people that will be published in the year ahead! Here's my "sneak peek" list that I have gathered thus far of poetry collections and anthologies, poem picture books, and novels in verse. If I am missing any new 2022 poetry books, please let me know. If I have mis-categorized a book, please let me know. I'll keep updating this list all year long, so it can serve as a useful resource for anyone looking for new poetry for young people.
- Acevedo, Elizabeth. 2022. Inheritance. Ill. by Andrea Pippins. Harpercollins/ Quill Tree.
- Arango, Andrea Beatriz. 2022. Iveliz Explains It All. Random House.
- Ashman, Linda. 2022. I’m Number One! Persona Poems by Extraordinary Animals. Ill. by Aparna Varma. Kids Can Press.
- Atkins, Jeannine. 2022. Hidden Powers: Lise Meitner’s Call to Science. Atheneum.
- Bauer, Marion Dane. 2022. We, the Curious Ones. Ill. by Hari Panischer & Deepti Nair. Candlewick.
- Beck, Sam. 2022. The Iron Gate. Wonderbound.
- Becker, Lynn. 2022. Monsters in the Briny. Ill. by Scott Brundage. Sleeping Bear.
- Booth, Coe. 2022. Caprice. Scholastic.
- Bowles, David. 2022. They Call Me Fregona. Kokila.
- Brown, Tameka Fryer. 2022. Shirley Chisholm: Not Done Yet. Ill. by Nina Crews. Lerner/ Millbrook.
- Bryant, Jen. 2022. Fall Down Seven Times, Stand Up Eight: Patsy T. Mink and the Fight for Title IX. Ill. by Toshiki Nakamura.
- Bulion, Leslie. 2022. Serengeti. Ill. by Becca Stadtlander. Peachtree.
- Chapman, Ty. 2022. Sarah Rising. Ill. by DeAnn Wiley. Beaming Books.
- Cho, Tina. 2022. The Tune Without Words. Ill. by Deborah Lee. HarperAlley.
- Clare, Ann. 2022. Fly Away Home. Scholastic Press.
- Comrie, Courtne. 2022. Rain Rising. HarperCollins.
- Crull, Kelly. 2022. Washed Ashore: Making Art from Ocean Plastic. Millbrook Press.
- Culley, Betty. 2022. The Name She Gave Me. HarperCollins.
- Dawkins, Matthew. 2022. Until We Break. Wattpad.
- Dickman, Linda Trott. 2022. Road Trip 2: On the Road Again.
- Dickman, Linda Trott. 2022. Catching the Light: Poetry Prompts for Children of All Ages. Red Penguin Press.
- Dubois, Caroline. 2022. Ode to a Nobody. Holiday House.
- Duncan, Alice Faye. 2022. Yellow Dog Blues. Ill. by Chris Raschka. Eerdmans.
- Ehrenberg, Pamela & López, Tracy. 2022. Detour Ahead. PJ Publishing.
- Elliott, David. 2022. At the Pond. Ill. by Amy Schimler-Safford. Candlewick.
- Elliot, David. 2022. Red Big. Ill by Evan Turk. Disney-Hyperion.
- Elliot, Zetta & Miller-Lachmann, Lyn. 2022. Moonwalking. Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.
- Engle, Margarita. 2022. Rima’s Revolution. Ill by Carina Guevara. Atheneum.
- Engle, Margarita. 2022. Singing with Elephants. Ill. by Oriol Vidal. Viking.
- Ewing, Susan. 2022. Alaska Is for the Birds. Ill. by Evon Zerbetz. Alaska Northwest Books.
- Farid, Diana. 2022. Wave. Ill. by Kris Goto. Cameron Books.
- Ferguson, Jen. 2022.The Summer of Bitter and Sweet. NY: Heartdrum.
- Fliess, Sue. 2022. Rumble and Roar: Sound Around the World. Ill. by Khoa Le. Millbrook Press.
- Florian, Douglas. 2022. Zoobilations! Simon & Schuster.
- Foxell, Imogene. 2022. Maybe You Might. Ill. by Anna Cunha. Lantana.
- Franco, Betsy. 2022. Counting in Dog Years and Other Sassy Math Poems. Ill. by Priscilla Tey. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Frost, Helen. 2022. Wait and See. Ill. by Rick Lieder. Candlewick.
- Ghigna, Charles. 2022. Little Hearts: Finding Hearts in Nature. Ill. by Jacqueline East. Red Comet Press.
- Gianferrari, Maria. 2022. Being a Dog. Ill. by Pete Oswald. HarperCollins.
- Gianferrari, Maria. 2022. Ice Cycle: Poems About the Life of Ice. Ill. by Jieting Chen. Lerner/ Millbrook.
- Giovanni, Nikki. 2022. A Library. Ill. by Erin K. Robinson. HarperCollins/Versify.
- Gopal, Jyoti Rajan. 2022. Desert Queen. Ill. by Svabhu Kohli. Levine Querido.
- Gow, Robin. 2022. A Million Quiet Revolutions. FSG.
- Greanias, Margaret Chiu. 2022. Amah Faraway. Ill. by Tracy Subisak. Bloomsbury.
- Grehan, Meg. 2022. Baby Teeth. Dublin, Ireland: Little Island.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2022. Garvey in the Dark. Wordsong/Astra Books.
- Hagan, Ellen. 2022. Don’t Call Me a Hurricane. Bloomsbury.
- Hagen, Hans & Monique. 2022. You Are the Loveliest. Ill. by Marit Törnqvist. Levine Querido/ Em Querido.
- Haydu, Corey Ann. 2022. Lawless Spaces. Simon & Schuster.
- Hill, Amanda Rawson. 2022. The Hope of Elephants. Charlesbridge.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. 2022. Away with Words! Wise and Witty Poems for Language Lovers. Ill. by Perry Hoberman. Little, Brown.
- Honoré, Leslé. 2022. Brown Girl, Brown Girl. Ill. by Cozbi A. Cabrera. Little, Brown.
- Hood, Susan & Dawson, Grey. 2022. Alias Anna: The True Story of a Girl and Her Sister Who Outwitted the Nazis. HarperCollins.
- Howes, Katey. 2022. A Poem Grows Inside You. Ill. by Heather Brockman Lee. Innovation Press.
- Hughes, Alison. 2022. Fly. Kids Can Press.
- Kooser, Ted and Wanek, Connie. 2022. Marshmallow Clouds: Two Poets at Play Among Figures of Speech. ill. by Richard Jones. Candlewick.
- Krasner, Barbara. 2022. Ethel's Song: Ethel Rosenberg's Life in Poems. Astra/Calkins Creek.
- Kuo, Jane. 2022. In the Beautiful Country. Quill Tree.
- La Tulippe, Renée. 2022. The Crab Ballet. Ill. by Cécile Metzger. Cameron Books.
- Latham, Irene & Waters, Charles. 2022. African Town. Putnam.
- Latham, Irene & Waters, Charles. 2022. Be a Bridge. Ill. by Nabila Adani. Lerner/ Carolrhoda.
- Lawler, Janet. 2022. Oceans of Love. Ill. by Holly Clifton-Brown. Philomel.
- Levington, Rebecca Gardyn. 2022. Brainstorm! Sleeping Bear Books.
- Levinson, Cynthia. 2022. A School for Problems: Myles Horton and the Highlander Folk School. Ill. by Keith Henry Brown. Peachtree.
- Lockington, Mariama J. 2022. Forever is Now. FSG.
- Lowell, Rebekah. 2022. The Road to After. Ill. by Rebekah Lowell. Penguin/ Paulson.
- Martin, Erica. 2022. And We Rise. Philomel.
- Martin, Erica. 2022. Whites Only: The Civil Rights Movement. Philomel.
- McCullough, Joy. 2022. Enter the Body. Dutton.
- McCullough, Joy; Richmond, Caroline Tung; Sharpe, Tess and Spotswood, Jessica. 2022. Great or Nothing. Delacorte.
- Nelson, Marilyn. 2022. Augusta Savage: The Shape of a Sculptor's Life. Little, Brown/Ottaviano.
- Neruda, Pablo. Transl. Sara Lissa Paulson. 2022. Book of Questions. Ill. by Paloma Valdivia. Enchanted Lion Books.
- Ogle, Rex. 2022. Todo sobre mi abuela. Norton Young Readers.
- Patel-Sage, Krina. 2022. Watch Me Bloom. Lantana.
- Pincus, Meeg. 2022. Make Way for Animals!: The Wonderful World of Wildlife Crossings. Ill. by Bao Luu. Millbrook Press.
- Pinkney, Andrea. 2022. Bright Brown Baby. Ill. by Brian Pinkney. Orchard.
- Reynolds, Jason and Griffin, Jason. 2022. Ain't Burned All the Bright. Atheneum.
- Riazi, Karuna. 2022. A Bit of Earth. Greenwillow Books.
- Rodash, Rahma. 2022. Dear Black Child. Ill. by Lydia Mba. HarperCollins/ Balzer + Bray.
- Rodash, Rahma. 2022. Dear Muslim Child. HarperCollins/ Balzer + Bray.
- Rolle, Sojourner Kincaid. 2022. Free at Last: A Juneteenth Poem. Ill. by Alex Bostic. Union Square Kids.
- Romero, R.M. 2022. The Ghosts of Rose Hill. Peachtree Teen.
- Rowe, Kelis. 2022. Finding Jupiter. Crown.
- Salas, Laura Purdie. 2022. Zap Clap Boom. Ill. by Elly MacKay.
- Salazar, Aida & Méndez, Yamile Saied. 2022. Calling the Moon. Candlewick Press.
- Salazar, Aida. 2022. A Seed in the Sun. Dial.
- Sanders, Rob. 2022. Blood Brothers. Reycraft.
- Schu, John. 2022. This is a School. Ill. by Veronica Miller Jamison. Candlewick.
- Silverman, Buffy. 2022. On a Gold-Blooming Day: Finding Fall Treasures. Millbrook/Lerner.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2022. Awe-some Days: Poems about the Jewish Holidays. Ill. by Dana Wulfekotte. Dial.
- Singh, Rina. 2022. A Garden of Grenades and Other Stories. Ill. by Hoda Hadadi. Greystone.
- Slesarik, Ken. 2022. Grievers and Poets: When a Loved One Dies. Ill. by Catherine Flinn. Grievers and Poets Press.
- Smith Jr., Charles R. 2022. What Makes Us Strong. Ill. by Evans, Shane W. Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.
- Steinberg, D.J. 2022. My Teacher Is the Best!. Ill. by Ruth Hammond. Grosset & Dunlap.
- Steinberg, D. J. 2022. Valentine's Day, Here I Come! Ill. by Laurie Stansfield. Penguin/Grosset & Dunlap.
- Stevens-Holsey, Rosita and Jennings, Terry Catasús. 2022. Pauli Murray: The Life of a Pioneering Feminist and Civil Rights Activist. Little Bee.
- Sze, Gillian. 2022. You Are My Favorite Color. Ill. by Nina Mata. Philomel.
- Tafolla, Carmen. 2022. ¡Guerrera Warrior!. Penguin/ Paulsen.
- Tognolini, Bruno. 2022. Magari!. Ill. by Giulia Orecchia. Red Comet Press.
- Vanderwater, Amy Ludwig. 2022. If This Bird Had Pockets. Ill. by Emma J. Virján. Boyd Mills.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. 2022. Things We Eat. Princeton, NJ: Pomelo Books.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. 2022. Things We Feel. Princeton, NJ: Pomelo Books.
- Watson, Renee. 2022. Maya’s Song. Ill. by Bryon Collier. HarperCollins.
- Weatherford, Carole Boston. 2022. Call Me Miss Hamilton: One Woman’s Case for Equality and Respect. Ill by Jeffrey Boston Weatherford. Millbrook Press.
- Weatherford, Carole Boston. 2022. The Faith of Elijah Cummings: The North Star of Equal Justice. Random House.
- Weatherford, Carole Boston. 2022. Standing in the Need of Prayer. Ill. by Frank Morrison.Crown/Random House.
- Wilson, Kip. 2022. The Most Dazzling Girl in Berlin. Versify.
- Wolf, Allan. 2022. Behold Our Magical Garden: Poems Fresh from a School Garden. Ill. by Daniel Duncan. Candlewick.
- Wolf, Allan. 2022. The Blanket Where Violet Sits. Ill. by Lauren Tobia. Candlewick.
- Woodfolk, Ashley. 2022. Nothing Burns as Bright as You. HMH/ Versify.
- Woodson, Jacqueline. 2022. The Year We Learned to Fly. Ill. by Rafael Lòpez. Penguin/Paulsen.
- Yeatts, Tabatha. Ed. 2022. Imperfect II: Poems About Perspective. Rockville, MD: History House Publishers.
- Yolen, Jane and Semple, Heidi E. Y. 2022. You Suck! Poems About Animals that Sip, Slurp, Suck. Ill. by Eugenia Nobati. Lerner/Millbrook.
- Zoboi, Ibi. 2022. Star Child: A Constellation of Octavia E. Butler. Dutton.
Now head on over to Beyond Literacy Link where Carol is gathering all the Poetry Friday blog posts in one place. Let's see what kind of poetry goodness is waiting for us all around the multiverse!
What riches, Sylvia ~ and mazel tov on both your books in this list!
Sylvia, Once again you are so generous to take the time to put together and share these books. I want to read all of them! Thank you for this post and yes...so many congratulations to you! Here's to a year full of words for all. xxoo
Dear Sylvia, thank you for the gift that is this list! 95 is pretty great, yes? xo
Wow! What a trove of poetry richness! So many new books to look forward to. Thank you for curating this list, Sylvia. Happy New Year!
I look forward to this list every year! Thank you, Sylvia!
Thanks for continuing this fantastic resource, Sylvia. I am especially excited about Ibi Zoboi's book about Octavia Butler! --Laura Shovan
I'll take one of each, please. What a gorgeous list of books...full of old favorite authors of mine and some new ones too. Thank you for the resource!
Sylvia, I add my thanks for the hard work you put in every year to keep track of the wide range of poetry coming our way. I'm bookmarking and looking forward to exploring month by month--and also some Things to Eat and Things to Feel!
Hey, thank you all for your kind words and support. This is such a fun task for me-- a true labor of love! I'm just as excited as y'all are for all these new books of poetry-- with so many new poets on the list too!
Thank you for putting together this wonderful list--I'm excited to start reading all this deliciousness!
I love these posts! Thanks, Sylvia!
What a feast, Sylvia - Thank you for this gift every year! Here's to an epidemic of poetry in 2022.
What a grand list, Sylvia. This is Twitter noteworthy! Love this post.
Such richness and so much to look forward to. Thank you for this list, Sylvia. PS I can't wait to see the next to Things we....from Pomelo!!
Janet Clare F.
I always love seeing your annual list, Sylvia - thank you! And congrats to you & Janet on your own two books!
Thank you, Sylvia, for this help in keeping up. Happy New Year!
Wow, what a fantastic list! Thank you for compiling it, Sylvia! Now, if I just had time to read them all, life would be especially lovely. Looking forward to getting to many of them, though.
I love looking forward to a year rich with poetry!
I'm not sure I can keep up but this is so wonderful to see that so much is coming! Thanks, Sylvia!
What a wonderful list! My to-be-read pile is growing . . . I'd be so grateful if you could add my 2022 book, PENGUIN JOURNEY, which is a nonfiction picture book-in-verse. Thank you Sylvia!
Thanks again for stopping by and celebrating new and forthcoming poetry with me! I agree with Robyn-- here's to an EPIDEMIC of poetry!
Angela, I have your book PENGUIN JOURNEY on the 2021 "sneak peek" list and it shows a 2021 pub date on Amazon. Is that not correct? Either way, congrats!
What an incredible blog, and just this post alone is exciting. I had no idea so many amazing poetry books were coming out this year and will definitely be reading as many as I can. Thanks so much for including DETOUR AHEAD, the book I co-authored with Pamela Ehrenberg. We're in such wonderful company and very appreciative!
Post a Comment