Please let me know of any others I can add. I’ll be coming back to this posting throughout the year and continually adding titles, hoping to offer a one-stop spot here for referencing a 2013 list of poetry for kids throughout the year (and beyond). (Last year there were 82 titles published, so we have a way to go before hitting that mark!) Meanwhile, I am happy to share my beginning list of titles of poetry for young people (including novels in verse) coming soon…
- Ada, Alma Flor and Isabel F. Campoy. 2013. Yes! We Are Latinos. Ill. by David Diaz. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Argueta, Jorge. 2013. Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem. Ill. by Domi. Toronto: Groundwood.
- Brown, Calef. 2013. We Go Together!: A Curious Selection of Affectionate Verse. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Cheng, Andrea. 2013. Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet. New York: Lee & Low.
- Engle, Margarita. 2013. The Lightning Dreamer. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Engle, Margarita. 2013. Mountain Dog. New York: Holt.
- Engle, Margarita. 2013. When You Wander. New York: Holt.
- Flood, Nancy Bo. 2013. Cowboy Up! Ride the Navajo Rodeo. Ill. byJan Sonnenmair. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Frost, Helen. 2013. Salt. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Gerber, Carole. 2013. Seeds, Bees, Butterflies and More! Poems for Two Voices. New York: Holt.
- Gerber, Carole. 2013. Spring Blossoms. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2013. Words with Wings. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Held, George. 2013. Neighbors: The Yard Critters Too. Ill. by Joung Un Kim. New York: Filsinger & Co., Ltd.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2013. All the World’s a Stage. Ill. by Guy Billout. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Editions.
- Hughes, Langston. 2013. Lullaby (for a Black Mother). Ill. by Sean Qualls. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Kennedy, Caroline. Ed. 2013. Poems to Learn by Heart. Ill. by John Muth. New York: Hyperion.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. Face Bug: Poems. Photos by Frederic Siskind. Ill. by Kelly Murphy. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. World Rat Day: Poems About Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of. Ill. by Anna Ruff. Somerville, MA. Candlewick Press.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. When Thunder Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders. San Francisco: Chronicle.
- McGrath, Barbara Barbieri. 2013. Teddy Bear Patterns. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Ode, Eric. 2013. Sea Star Wishes: Poems from the Coast. New York: Sasquatch Books/Random House.
- O'Garden, Irene. 2013. Forest, What Would You Like? Ill. by Pat Schories. New York: Holiday House.
- Powell, Patricia Hruby. 2013. Josephine. Ill. by Christian Robinson. San Francisco: Chronicle.
- Prelutsky, Jack. 2013. Stardines Swim High Across the Sky and Other Poems. New York: Greenwillow.
- Rampersad, Arnold and Blount, Marcellus (Eds). 2013. Poetry for Young People: African American Poetry (reissued, re-illustrated). Ill. by Karen Barbour. New York: Sterling.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2013. What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms & Blessings. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2013. Follow, Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems. New York: Penguin.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2013. Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents. Ill. by John Hendrix. New York: Disney-Hyperion.
- Smith, Charles R., Jr. 2013. Brick by Brick. New York: Amistad/ HarperCollins.
- Sones, Sonya. 2013. To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Thompson, Holly. 2013. The Language Inside. New York: Delacorte.
- VanDerwater, Amy Ludwig. 2013. Forest Has a Song. New York: Clarion.
- Weston, Robert Paul. 2013. Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdon of Spiff. New York: Razorbill/Penguin.
- Wissinger, Tamera Will. 2013. Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse. Ill. by Matthew Cordell. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Worth, Valerie. 2013. Pug. Ill. by Steve Jenkins. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Yolen, Jane and Dotlich, Rebecca. 2013. Grumbles from the Forest: Fairy Tales with a Twist. Ill. by Matt Hahurin. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Yolen, Jane. 2013. Wee Rhymes: Baby's First Poetry Book. Ill. by Jane Dyer. New York: Simon & Schuster.
ALSO NEW: One other title that I am particularly excited about is my latest collaboration with poet and friend, Janet Wong (along with 70 other wonderful contributing poets). It is the middle school companion to our Poetry Friday Anthology for grades K-5 that we published last year. It's entitled, appropriately enough:
The Poetry Friday Anthology for Middle School (Grades 6-8)
And it will be available March 1. It has a poem-a-week for every grade (6, 7, 8) by top poets (like Naomi Shihab Nye, Marilyn Nelson, Sonya Sones, Joyce Sidman, and MANY others) and offers "Take 5" teaching connections for every single poem tied to the Common Core standards (and TEKS in Texas). Stay tuned for further details VERY soon!
Meanwhile, join us at A Teaching Life where Tara is hosting the always fabulous Poetry Friday line up.
Psssst... the Cybils committee just chose the POETRY winner for 2012. We'll announce it next week!
Image credit: ADifferentForest.com
Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2013. All rights reserved.