And here are the Take 5 activities that go with this poem:
- Play marching band music in the background as you read this poem aloud enthusiastically. One source is SoundCloud.com/lumarchingband.
- Read the poem again and invite children to cheer along with the phrase Hip Hip Hooray! as you read the rest of the poem.
- Share experiences watching, attending, or participating in a live parade.
- Pair this poem with the picture book This Day in June by Gayle E. Pitman (Magination, 2014) and explore the details and diversity in the illustrations.
- Connect with another “parade” poem, “Independence Day” by Linda Dryfhout (July, pages 186-187); selections from Poems to Dream Together/Poemas para sonar juntos by Francisco X. Alarcón (Lee & Low, 2005); or the picture book Heather Has Two Mommies by Lesléa Newman (Candlewick, rereleased, 2015).