Friday, July 01, 2016

ALA Poetry Blast

Meeting the Berenstain Bears!
I just came back from the annual convention of the American Library Association in Orlando and what a great event-- as always! There's so much to love about these conferences-- running into great friends from across the country, meeting fascinating new people, learning-learning-learning (at sessions, events, exhibits, and EVERYWHERE), attending fun publisher previews, receptions and dinners, and reveling in the amazing Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder banquet. Wow! I'm probably forgetting a ton of other things-- all packed into 3-4 days of nonstop action. No wonder I always come home equal parts exhilarated and exhausted! 

Proud mom, daughter, and daughter's first book!
One of the highlights this year was attending ALA with my grown up daughter who is also a librarian-- although in the medical field. She's so much fun to travel with and I'm so proud of all her achievements too! She presented her poster on her new book about the Affordable Care Act for librarians.

Janet (Wong) and I also had a poster session featuring how to connect poetry and picture books and I was so pleased with all the traffic we had and all the social media buzz our visitors created! 





Check out my homemade "share poetry" dress which I was excited to debut here. I ordered this customized fabric (with a Groupon from PersonalizedFabric2) and then made it into a simple dress. So much fun! 

And of course I couldn't miss the Poetry Blast which was held Sunday afternoon, hosted by Marilyn Singer and Stephanie Bange and featured poets Robert L. Forbes (Beastly Feasts; Let's Have a Bite; Beast Friends Forever), Madeleine Kuderick (Kiss of Broken Glass), Ann E. Burg (Unbound), Lee Bennett Hopkins (Jumping Off Library Shelves; Amazing Places, Been to Yesterdays), Carole Boston Weatherford (Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer, Spirit of the Civil Rights Movement; You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen), and Marilyn Singer herself, of course (Miss Muffet, or What Came After; Echo Echo). I made tiny video clips of their readings and I tried to post them here, so you can catch some of the excitement we all felt there-- and get the scoop on some new, forthcoming poetry books, but neither Blogger nor YouTube is cooperating! Heck! Sorry! I'll keep trying and re-post, if I have more success. 
(L-R) Lee Bennett Hopkins, Carole Boston Weatherford, Ann E. Burg, Robert L. Forbes, Marilyn Singer & Madeleine Kuderick
Thanks to the sponsors for bringing poets and sponsoring the Poetry Blast: Candlewick Press, HarperCollins Children's Books; Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Books for Young Readers; Lee & Low Books; Scholastic Books, and Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.

Meanwhile, head on over to Tabatha's place, The Opposite of Indifference, where she has heaps of Poetry Friday goodies to share. See you there!

10 comments:

Books4Learning said...

Looks like a great event. Love your share poetry dress!

LEE BENNETT HOPKINS said...

SYLVIA: Thanks for sharing this.It is a nice memento of ALA's POETRY BLAST. www.leebennetthopkins

Irene Latham said...

Sylvia! THAT DRESS IS AWESOME! And how sweet the pic of you and your daughter?! Love seeing these other poet-faces, too. Thank you for sharing.

Author Amok said...

I'm so glad we had a chance to meet, Sylvia! That dress is amazing.

Robyn Hood Black said...

LOVE THAT DRESS! :0)
Thanks for the sneak peek into what was obviously an awesome gathering. Congrats again to your daughter!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Personally I want to see the custom dress with some custom tights--purple, I think, don't you?!?! My first big author event was the ALA Poetry Blast in New Orleans--remember? I can feel all the excitement and I hope to be there again someday!

Thanks for sharing the thrills!

Amy LV said...

Thank you for giving all of us a peek into this wonderful event! I, too, am in love with the fact you travel with your daughter...and with your dress! xx

Ann said...

Was happy to see you again though sorry there was so little time to talk...thanks for this lovely post and picture!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

Yay to you and your daughter.

Charles Waters said...

Oh my, what a party that must have been. Wish I could have attended. So happy and proud of you and Janet. And love the dress!