- Alarcón, Francisco X. 2016. Family Poems/ Poemas familiares. Ill. by Maya Christina Gonzalez. Lee & Low.
- Alexander, Kwame. 2016. Booked. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Argueta, Jorge. 2016. Somos como las nubes/ We are Like the Clouds. Groundwood Books/House of Anansi Press.
- Aston, Dianna Hutts. 2016. A Beetle is Shy. Ill. by Sylvia Long. Chronicle.
- Atkins, Jeannine. 2016. Finding Wonders: Three Girls Who Changed Science. Atheneum/Simon & Schuster.
- Bint Mahmood, Ayesha. 2016. Thank You O Allah! Kube Publishing.
- Bodden, Valerie. 2016. Picturing Words in a Poem. Ill. by Monique Felix. Creative Company/Creative Education.
- Brown, Skila. 2016. Slickety Quick: Poems About Sharks. Candlewick.
- Brown, Skila. 2016. To Stay Alive: Mary Ann Graves and the Tragic Journey of the Donner Party. Candlewick.
- Bryan, Ashley. 2016. Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives and Dreams Brought to Life. Atheneum.
- Burg, Ann. 2016. Unbound. Scholastic.
- Caswell, Deanna. 2016. Boo Haiku. Ill. by Bob Shea. Abrams Appleseed.
- Caswell, Deanna. 2016. Guess Who Haiku. Ill. by Bob Shea. Abrams Appleseed.
- Charlton-Trujillo, E. E. 2016. When We Was Fierce. Candlewick.
- Cleary, Brian P. 2016. Bow-Tie Pasta: Acrostic Poems (Poetry Adventures). Brian P. Cleary. Ill. Andy Rowland. Millbrook/Lerner.
- Cleary, Brian P. 2016. I Saw an Invisible Lion Today: Quatrains. (Poetry Adventures). Lerner/Millbrook.
- Creech, Sharon. 2016. Moo. HarperCollins.
- Dolby, Karen. 2016. Oranges and Lemons: Rhymes from Past Times. Michael O’Mara Books.
- Donaldson, Julia. 2016. Songbook Treasury. Ill. by Axel Scheffler. Pan Macmillan.
- Donwerth-Chikamatsu, Annie. 2016. Somewhere Among. Simon & Schuster.
- Dooley, Sarah. 2016. Free Verse. Putnam/Penguin.
- Eliot, T. S. 2016. Mr. Mistoffelees: The Conjuring Cat. Ill. by Arthur Robins. Faber & Faber.
- Elya, Susan Middleton. 2016. ¡Celebración! Ill. by Ana Aranda.
- Elya, Susan Middleton. 2016. La Madre Goose: Nursery Rhymes for Los Niños. Ill. by Juana Martinez-Neal. Penguin Random House/Putnam.
- Engle, Margarita. 2016. Lion Island: Cuba’s Warrior of Words. Atheneum.
- Engle, Margarita. 2016. Morning Star Horse/ El Caballo Lucero. Translated by Alexis Romay. HBE Publishers (available in English bilingual [Spanish/English] editions)
- Esiri, Allie. 2016. A Poem for Every Night of the Year. Macmillan.
- Fogliano, Julie. 2016. When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons. Ill. by Julie Morstad. Macmillan/Roaring Brook/Porter.
- Frost, Helen. 2016. Among a Thousand Fireflies. Ill. by Rick Lieder. Candlewick.
- Frost, Helen. 2016. Applesauce Weather. Ill. by Amy June Bates. Candlewick.
- Goddu, Krystyna Poray. 2016. A Girl Called Vincent: The Life of Poet Edna St. Vincent Millay. Chicago Review.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2016. Garvey’s Choice. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Harrington, Janice L. 2016. Catching a Storyfish. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Harrison, David L. 2016. Now You See Them, Now You Don’t: Poems About Creatures that Hide. Ill. by Giles Laroche. Charlesbridge.
- Hepperman, Christine. 2016. Ask Me How I Got Here. HarperCollins.
- Herrington, Janice. 2016. Catching a Storyfish. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Holt, K. A. 2016. House Arrest. Chronicle.
- Hopkins, Ellen. 2016. The You I've Never Known. Simon & Schuster.
- Jacobson, David; Ito, Sally and Tsuboi, Michiko. 2016. Are You an Echo? The Lost Poetry of Misuzu Kaneko. Ill. by Toshikado Hajiri. Chin Music.
- Koyczan, Shane. 2016. To This Day. Annick Press.
- Latham, Irene. 2016. Fresh Delicious: Poems from the Farmers' Market. Ill. by Mique Moriuchi. Highlights/Wordsong.
- Latham, Irene. 2016. When the Sun Shines on Antarctica: And Other Poems About the Frozen Continent. Ill. by Anna Wadham. Millbrook Press.
- Lea, Synne. 2016. Night Guard. Ill. by Stian Hole. Eerdmans Books for Young Readers.
- Lewis, Jan. 2016. My Mother Goose Collection: Playtime Rhymes. Anness Publishing.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2016. Kooky Crumbs: Poems in Praise of Dizzy Days. Ill. by Mary Uhles. Kane-Miller.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2016. The Navajo Code Talkers. Ill. by Gary Kelley. Creative Editions.
- Lin, Grace and McKneally, Ranida T. 2016. Our Food. Ill. by Grace Zong. Charlesbridge.
- Luján, Jorge. 2016. Trunk to Trunklet. Ill. by Mandana Sadat. Brooklyn, NY: Enchanted Lion Books.
- Lowitz, Leza. 2016. Up From the Sea. Crown/Random House.
- Marks, Alan. Ed. 2016. The People of the Town: Nursery Rhyme Friends for You and Me. Charlesbridge.
- McNally, Janet. 2016. Girls in the Moon. HarperTeen.
- Moser, Lisa. 2016. Stories from Bug Garden. Candlewick.
- Nash, Scott. 2016. Shrunken Treasures: Literary Classics, Short, Sweet, and Silly. Candlewick.
- Nelson, Marilyn. 2016. American Ace. Dial Books.
- Nesbitt, Kenn. Ed. 2016. One Minute Till Bedtime. Little Brown.
- Norris, Charles M. Ed. 2016. Mommy Goose: Rhymes from the Mountains. Ill. by Minnie Adkins. University Press of Kentucky.
- Orgill, Roxane. 2016. Jazz Day: The Making of a Famous Photograph. Ill. by Francis Vallejo. Candlewick.
- Pinkney, Andrea Davis. 2016. A Poem for Peter: The Story of Ezra Jack Keats and the Creation of The Snowy Day. Ill. by Lou Fancher and Steve Johnson. Viking.
- Powell, Patricia Hruby. 2016. Loving vs. Virginia: A Documentary Novel of the Landmark Civil Rights Case. Ill. by Shadra Strickland. Chronicle
- Raczka, Bob. 2016. Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems. Roaring Brook Press.
- Redgate, Riley. 2016. Seven Ways We Lie. Amulet/Abrams.
- Shaw, Stephanie. 2016. Schnitzel. Ill. by Kevin Barry. Sleeping Bear Press.
- Shovan, Laura. 2016. The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary. Random House.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2016. Before Morning. Ill. by Beth Krommes. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2016. Echo, Echo: Reverso Poems about Greek Myths. Ill. by Josée Masse. Dial.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2016. Miss Muffet, or What Came After? Ill. by David Litchfield. Clarion.
- Snively, Susan. 2016. Poetry for Kids: Emily Dickinson. Ill. by Christine Davenier. MoonDancePress. (Quarto)
- Solod, Margo. 2016. Washed Up Waves. Ill. by Bruce Macdonald. Harbour.
- Sones, Sonya. 2016. Saving Red! HarperCollins.
- Steig, Jeanne and Steig, William. 2016. Divine Comedies: The Old Testament Made Easy and a Gift from Zeus. Simon & Schuster.
- Steig, Jeanne and Steig, William. 2016. Consider the Lemming (reissue). Simon & Schuster.
- Steig, Jeanne and Steig, William. 2016. Alpha Beta Chowder (reissue). Simon & Schuster.
- Stone, Tiffany. 2016. Polly's Pirate Poems. Ill. by Dianna Bonder. Simply Read Books.
- Stoop, Naoko. 2016. Sing with Me! Action Songs Every Child Should Know. Henry Holt.
- Stroud, Bettye. 2016. The World’s Wide Open. Ill. by Pat Cummings. Simon & Schuster.
- Thompson, Holly. 2016. Falling Into the Dragon’s Mouth. New York: Henry Holt.
- Trillin, Calvin. 2016. No Fair! No Fair! And Other Jolly Poems of Childhood. Ill. by Roz Chast. Scholastic/Orchard.
- VanDerwater, Amy. 2016. Every Day Birds. Ill. by Dylan Metrano. Orchard.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. 2016. Here We Go: A Poetry Friday Power Book. Pomelo Books.
- Viorst, Judith. 2016. What Are You Glad About? What Are You Mad About? Poems for When a Person Needs a Poem. Ill. by Lee White. Simon & Schuster.
- Weatherford, Carole Boston. 2016. You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen. Simon & Schuster.
- Withrow, Steven and Stevens, Roger. 2016 It's Not My Fault. Bloomsbury UK/A&C Black.
- Yolen, Jane. 2016. The Alligator’s Smile and Other Poems. Ill. by Jason Stemple. Lerner.
- Yolen, Jane and Dotlich, Rebecca Kai. 2016. Grumbles from the Town: Mother Goose Voices with a Twist. Ill. by Angela Matteson. Wordsong/Boyds Mills.
Rhyming/Poem Picture Books
Since posting my original list, I've discovered that some of these titles are rhyming picture books-- also lovely-- but I'm trying to focus specifically on poetry titles (including novels in verse). So, I'm starting a separate list below of poets' rhyming picture books. If someone else is already keeping such a list, please let me know and I can direct people there.
- Larkin, Eric-Shabazz. 2016. Ode, Eric. 2016. Too Many Tomatoes. Kane-Miller.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2016. Before Morning. Ill. by Beth Krommes. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2016. What's an Apple? Ill. by Greg Pizzoli. Abrams.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2016. What's a Banana? Ill. by Greg Pizzoli. Abrams.
- Swinburne, Stephen. 2016. Safe in a Storm. Ill. by Jennifer A. Bell. Scholastic.
- Tuohey, Caroline. 2016. Forest Wonder. Ill. by Muza Ulasowski.
- Wing, Natasha. 2016. The Night Before the New Pet. Ill. by Amy Wummer. Penguin/Grosset & Dunlap.
- Wissinger, Tamera Will. 2016. There Was an Old Lady Who Gobbled a Skink. Ill. by Ana Bermejo. Sky Pony Press.
- Yolen, Jane. 2016. How Do Dinosaurs Stay Friends? Ill. by Mark Teague. Scholastic.
- Yolen, Jane. 2016. On Bird Hill. Ill. by Bob Marstall. Cornell Lab Publishing Group.
- Yolen, Jane. 2016. What to Do with a Box. Ill. by Chris Shiban. Creative Editions.
Thank you so much for this list. I look forward to it every year. So many good titles coming out!
Thanks for always letting us know what new poetry books will be published each year!
"Things to Do," my first collection of poems, will be published by Chronicle Books in early fall of this year. It's been five long years in the making!
I love this list! Thank you, Sylvia. There's so much wonderful reading here to look forward to!
I caught a few spelling errors. The 2016 WordSong books include:
GARVEY'S CHOICE by Nikki Grimes
CATCHING A STORYFISH by Janice L. Harrington
Thanks again! Happy 2016!
Also, a bit more info (now that I looked at the original post again):
FRESH DELICIOUS: Poems from the Farmers' Market (if you want to include the subtitle)
GRUMBLES FROM THE TOWN: Mother-Goose Voices with a Twist is illustrated by Angela Matteson (her debut).
Many thanks, Sylvia. Hooray for the year of poetry to come!
Love this 2016 sneak peak at poetry books! My Safe in a Storm (comforting read-aloud story where all the animals find cozy places to keep them safe and warm) is coming from Scholastic in April. Wrote it 15 years ago and I'm thrilled it's found a home! Poetry Rocks!
Thanks, Sylvia! I feel a shiver of excitement every January when you post this list. Looks to be another great year for poetry. :D
Thank you so much for your work and poetry love. It’s always a good year when we have more from Marilyn Nelson. Her novel in verse, American Ace, just came out from Dial Books.
Thank you, Sylvia. There are some here I'm already anticipating with great excitement, & others new. I'll keep checking your list!
Hey, y'all, and thanks for stopping by to comment and for all the great info-- which I've added/changed in my post. And feel free to double-check this list throughout the year because I'll keep updating it.
I share your excitement about all the new poetry goodness coming out this year!
Wow! This is quite a list! Can't wait to get started reading! Thank you for compiling this for all of us. And here is a sort of weird question, but I'm just wondering. I know we read 48 books for the CYBILS this year. I'm wondering if the list is steadily increasing, because the demand for children's poetry and novels in verse is increasing?????
I hope so, Carol, but I don't think so. Typically, there are 50-75 books of poetry for young people published each year (and not all get nominated for the CYBILS poetry category). This year, I was able to include books that are due out this fall, too, so my initial list is longer than usual. But I could be wrong-- there may indeed be more published this year than usual. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on that all year long!
So many wonderful books to look forward to! Thank you for putting this list together, Sylvia!
Thanks for this list, Sylvia! So much goodness to enjoy...soon:>)
Hi, Catherine and Laura,
Thanks for coming by and for your kind words. I'm very excited about all these new works of poetry-- seems like a bumper crop for 2016!
Lots and lots of poetic offerings to read, absorb, LOVE, in 2016. Can't wait!
Post a Comment