Please let me know of any others I can add. I’ll be coming back to this posting throughout the year and continually adding titles, hoping to offer a one-stop spot here for referencing a 2013 list of poetry for kids throughout the year (and beyond). (Last year there were 82 titles published, so we have a way to go before hitting that mark!) Meanwhile, I am happy to share my beginning list of titles of poetry for young people (including novels in verse) coming soon…
- Ada, Alma Flor and Isabel F. Campoy. 2013. Yes! We Are Latinos. Ill. by David Diaz. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Argueta, Jorge. 2013. Tamalitos: Un poema para cocinar/A Cooking Poem. Ill. by Domi. Toronto: Groundwood.
- Bingham, Kelly. 2013. Formerly Shark Girl. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Brown, Calef. 2013. We Go Together!: A Curious Selection of Affectionate Verse. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Brown, Marc. 2013. Marc Brown’s Playtime Rhymes: A Treasury for Families to Learn and Play Together. New York: Little, Brown.
- Burg, Ann. 2013. Serafina’s Promise. New York: Scholastic.
- Cheng, Andrea. 2013. Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet. New York: Lee & Low.
- Clark, Kristin Elizabeth. 2013. Freak Boy. New York: Macmillan.
- Crossan, Sarah. 2013. The Weight of Water. New York: Bloomsbury.
- Cyrus, Kurt. 2013. Your Skeleton is Showing: Rhymes of Blunder from Six Feet Under. Ill. by Crab Scrambly. New York: Disney/Hyperion.
- Engle, Margarita. 2013. The Lightning Dreamer. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Engle, Margarita. 2013. Mountain Dog. New York: Holt.
- Flood, Nancy Bo. 2013. Cowboy Up! Ride the Navajo Rodeo. Ill. byJan Sonnenmair. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Flores-Scott, Patrick. 2013. Jumped In. New York: Henry Holt.
- Froehlich, Susan and Rodman, Jonathan. 2013. Rabbit Turds. Edina, MN: Beaver’s Pond Press.
- Frost, Helen. 2013. Salt. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Gerber, Carole. 2013. Seeds, Bees, Butterflies and More! Poems for Two Voices. New York: Holt.
- Gerber, Carole. 2013. Spring Blossoms. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2013. Words with Wings. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Held, George. 2013. Neighbors: The Yard Critters Too. Ill. by Joung Un Kim. New York: Filsinger & Co., Ltd.
- Hemphill, Stephanie. 2013. Hideous Love: The Story of the Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein. New York: HarperCollins.
- Homer. 2014. The Odyssey. Translated by Stephen Mitchell. New York: Atria Books.
- Hopkins, Ellen. 2013. Smoke. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2013. All the World’s a Stage. Ill. by Guy Billout. Minneapolis, MN: Creative Editions.
- Hughes, Langston. 2013. Lullaby (for a Black Mother). Ill. by Sean Qualls. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Keenan, Sheila. 2013. As the Crow Flies. Ill. by Kevin Duggan. New York: Feiwel & Friends.
- Kennedy, Caroline. Ed. 2013. Poems to Learn by Heart. Ill. by John Muth. New York: Hyperion.
- Koertge, Ron. 2013. Coaltown Jesus. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Koertge, Ron. 2013. The Ogre’s Wife: Poems. Pasadena, CA: Red Hen Press.
- Lawson, JonArno. 2013. Enjoy It While It Hurts. Wolsak & Wynn.
- Lesynski, Loris. 2013. Crazy About Basketball! Toronto, CA: Annick Press.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. Face Bug: Poems. Photos by Frederic Siskind. Ill. by Kelly Murphy. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. The Good Ship Crocodile. Ill. by Monique Felix. Creative Editions.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. When Thunder Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders. San Francisco: Chronicle.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2013. World Rat Day: Poems About Real Holidays You've Never Heard Of. Ill. by Anna Ruff. Somerville, MA. Candlewick Press.
- Maccarone, Grace. 2013. Princess Tales: Once Upon a Time in Rhyme with Seek and Find Pictures. New York: Feiwel & Friends.
- MacDonald, Maryann. 2013. Odette’s Secrets. New York: Bloomsbury.
- MacLachlan, Patricia and Charest, Emily MacLachlan. 2013. Cat Talk. Ill. by Barry Moser. New York: Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins.
- McGrath, Barbara Barbieri. 2013. Teddy Bear Patterns. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
- McPhail, David. Comp. 2013. My Mother Goose: A Collection of Favorite Rhymes, Songs, and Concepts. New York: Roaring Brook.
- Morpurgo, Michael and Clare. 2013. (Reprint) My Wellies Take Me. Ill. by Olivia Lomenech Gill. Templar.
- Ode, Eric. 2013. Sea Star Wishes: Poems from the Coast. New York: Sasquatch Books/Random House.
- Pendziwol, Jean K. 201. Once Upon a Northern Night. Ill. by Isabelle Arsenault. Toronto, Canada: Groundwood.
- Powell, Patricia Hruby. 2013. Josephine. Ill. by Christian Robinson. San Francisco: Chronicle.
- Prelutsky, Jack. 2013. The Silver Moon: Lullabies and Cradle Songs. Ill. by Jui Ishida. New York: Greenwillow/HarperCollins.
- Prelutsky, Jack. 2013. Stardines Swim High Across the Sky and Other Poems. New York: Greenwillow.
- Rampersad, Arnold and Blount, Marcellus (Eds). 2013. Poetry for Young People: African American Poetry. Ill. by Karen Barbour. New York: Sterling.
- Sax, Aline. 2013. The War Within These Walls. Ill. by Caryl Strzelecki. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
- Schmidt, Amy. 2013. Dog-Gone School. Ill. by Ron Schmidt. New York: Random House.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2013. What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms & Blessings. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2013. Follow, Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems. New York: Penguin.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2013. Rutherford B., Who Was He?: Poems About Our Presidents. Ill. by John Hendrix. New York: Disney-Hyperion.
- Smith, Charles R., Jr. 2013. Brick by Brick. New York: Amistad/ HarperCollins.
- Sones, Sonya. 2013. To Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Sternberg, Julie. 2013. Like Bug Juice on a Burger. Ill. by Matthew Cordell. New York: Abrams.
- Thompson, Holly. 2013. The Language Inside. New York: Delacorte.
- VanDerwater, Amy Ludwig. 2013. Forest Has a Song. New York: Clarion.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. 2013. The Poetry Friday Anthology for Middle School (Grades 6-8). Princeton, NJ: Pomelo Books.
- Vestergaard, Hope. Digger Dozer Dumper. Ill. by David Slonim. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Weston, Robert Paul. 2013. Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff. New York: Razorbill/Penguin.
- Wheeler, Lisa. 2013. The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses. Ill. by Zachariah OHora. New York: Atheneum.
- Winters, Ben H. 2013. Literally Disturbed: Tales to Keep You Up at Night. Penguin/Price Stern Sloan.
- Wissinger, Tamera Will. 2013. Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse. Ill. by Matthew Cordell. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Worth, Valerie. 2013. Pug. Ill. by Steve Jenkins. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Yolen, Jane and Dotlich, Rebecca. 2013. Grumbles from the Forest: Fairy Tales with a Twist. Ill. by Matt Hahurin. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
Meanwhile, join us at A Teaching Life where Tara is hosting the always fabulous Poetry Friday line up.
Image credit: ADifferentForest.com
Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2013. All rights reserved.
Thanks so much for this sneak peek! So many wonderful poets and very intriguing titles!
This will be another terrific year for poetry!
Thanks so much for this list! Exciting that the PF Anthology for Middle School is coming out soon. :)
Here's another title coming out in April:
Tamalitos: A Recipe Poem by Jorge Argueta (Groundwood Books)
Round is a Tortilla by
Oops, Round is a Tortilla is a rhyming PB and didn't want me to delete it :).
Hi, friends, thanks for stopping by-- and thank you, Jama, for the scoop!
Thanks so much for this Sneak Peek list, Sylvia! Many I knew were on the horizon, but there are also wonderful surprises I look forward to exploring.
[... and can't wait for the PFA for Middle School!]
So many titles, always enough time. =) Thanks for whetting our appetites.
Thanks for the list-looking forward to so many, & your middle school anthologycssmicle 132!
Can't wait! It's going to be another great year for poetry!
I always look forward to this list, Sylvia. Thank you for all that you do for us! Time for some more shelves around here... xo, a.
This sneak peek is very exciting news. Can't wait until I get my hands on all of them! VARDELL POWER!!!!!
Post a Comment