I also had the opportunity to chat with the publishers, peruse new books, pore over catalogs, attend previews, and gather my annual “sneak peek” list of the poetry titles that are scheduled to be published in 2012. Of course this is subject to change with additional titles possible as the year rolls along. (I revised and updated this list on Sept. 20, 2012.)
Please let me know of any others I can add. I’ll be coming back to this posting throughout the year and adding titles, hoping to offer a one-stop spot here for referencing a 2012 list of poetry for kids throughout the year (and beyond). Meanwhile, I am THRILLED to share 50 (now 75!) titles of poetry for young people (including novels in verse) coming soon…
- Andrews, Julie and Hamilton, Emma Walton. Eds. 2012. Julie Andrews’ Treasury for All Seasons: Poems and Songs to Celebrate the Year. Ill. by Marjorie Priceman. New York: Little, Brown.
- Applegate, Katherine. 2012. The One and Only Ivan. Harper.
- Argueta, Jorge. 2012. Guacamole; Un poema para cocinar/ A Cooking Poem. Ill. by Margarita Sada. Groundwood.
- Brownlee, Liz. 2012. Animal Magic. Ill. by Rose Sanderson. London: Iron Press.
- Cabrera, Jane. Adapter. 2012. Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. New York: Holiday House.
- Calhoun, Dia. 2012. Eva of the Farm. Atheneum.
- Clayton, Dallas. 2012. Make Magic! Do Good!. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Coombs, Kate. 2012. Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems. Ill. by Meilo So. Chronicle.
- Corcoran, Jill. Ed. 2012. Dare to Dream… Change the World. Kane Miller.
- Cushman, Doug. 2012. Pigmares. Charlesbridge.
- Davies, Nicola. 2012. Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature. Ill. by Mark Hearld. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Dean, Carolee. 2012. Forget Me Not. New York: Simon Pulse.
- Elliott, David. 2012. In the Sea. Ill. by Holly Meade. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Engle, Margarita. 2012. The Wild Book. Houghton Mifflin.
- Farish, Terry. 2012. The Good Braider: A Novel. Marshall Cavendish.
- Farrar, Sid. 2012. The Year Comes Round: Haiku Through the Seasons. Ill. by Ilse Plume. Whitman.
- Florian, Douglas. 2012. Poem Runs; Baseball Poems and Paintings. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Florian, Douglas. 2012. Unbeelievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings. Beach Lane.
- Florian, Douglas. 2012. Shiver Me Timbers! Ill. by Robert Neubecker. New York: Beach Lane/Simon & Schuster.
- Frost, Helen. 2012. Step Gently Out. Ill. by Rick Lieder. Candlewick.
- Fyleman, Rose. 2012. Mice. Ill. by Lois Ehlert. Simon & Schuster.
- Grady, Cynthia. 2012. I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery. Ill. by Michele Wood. Eerdmans.
- Hale, Christy. 2012. Dreaming Up: A Celebration of Building. Lee & Low.
- Harrison, David. 2012. Cowboys. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Heard, Georgia. Ed. 2012. The Arrow Finds its Mark: A Book of Found Poems. Macmillan.
- Heidbreder, Robert. 2012. Noisy Poems for a Busy Day. Ill. by Lori Joy Smith. Toronto: Kids Can Press.
- Hemphill, Stephanie. 2012. Sisters of Glass. Knopf.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. Ed. Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart. Ill. by Michael Emberley. Little, Brown.
- Hopkins, Ellen. 2012. Tilt. New York: Margaret K. McElderry.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. Ed. 2012. Nasty Bugs. Ill. by Will Terry. Dial.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2012. Mary’s Song. Ill. by Stephen Alcorn. Eerdmans.
- Hoyte, Carol-Ann and Roemer, Heidi Bee. Eds. 2012. And the Crowd Goes Wild!: A Global Gathering of Sports Poems. Ill. by Kevin Sylvester. Friesens Press.
- Hughes, Langston. 2012. I, Too, Am America. Ill. by Bryan Collier. Simon & Schuster.
- Jensen, Dana. 2012. A Meal of the Stars; Poems Up and Down. Houghton Mifflin.
- Katz, Susan. 2012. The President’s Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About U.S. Presidents. Clarion.
- Kimmel, Eric A. Adapter. Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale. Ill. by Andrew Glass. Feiwel & Friends.
- Koertge, Ron. 2012. Lies, Knives, and Girls in Red Dresses. Ill. by Andrea Dezsö. Candlewick.
- Lawson, JonArno. 2012. Down in the Bottom of the Bottom of the Box. Ill. by Alec Dempster. Erin, Ontario: Porcupine Quill's Press.
- Leavitt, Martine. 2012. My Book of Life by Angel. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Lesynki, Loris. 2012. Crazy About Soccer. Toronto: Annick Press.
- Levine, Gail Carson. 2012. Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems. Ill. by Matthew Cordell. HarperCollins.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2012. Edgar Allan Poe’s Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems. Ill. by Michael Slack. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Lewis, J. Patrick and Yolen, Jane. 2012. Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs. Ill. by Jeffrey Timmins. Charlesbridge.
- Lewis, J. Patrick and Yolen, Jane. 2012. Take Two! A Celebration of Twins. Ill. by Sophie Blackall. Candlewick.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2012. When Thunder Comes: Poems for Civil Rights Leaders. Chronicle.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2012. If You Were a Chocolate Mustache: Poems. Ill. by Matt Cordell. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. (Ed.) 2012. Book of Animal Poetry. National Geographic.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2012. What’s Looking at You Kid? Ill. by Renee Graef. Sleeping Bear Press.
- Luján, Jorge. 2012. Con el sol en los ojos/ With the Sun in My Eyes. Ill. by Morteza Zahedi. Groundwood.
- Lurie, Susan. 2012. Frisky Brisky Hippity Hop by Alexina B. White. Ill. by Murray Head. Holiday House.
- Marsalis, Wynton. 2012. Squeak, Rumble, Whomp! Whomp! Whomp! Ill. by Paul Rogers. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Mathers, Petra. Ed. 2012. The McElderry Book of Mother Goose: Revered and Rare Rhymes Compiled and Illustrated by Petra Mathers. Margaret K. McElderry Books.
- McLaughlin, Timothy. Ed. 2012. Walking on Earth and Touching the Sky; Poetry and Prose by Lakota Youth at Red Cloud Indian School. Abrams.
- Merchant, Natalie. Ed. 2012. Leave Your Sleep. Ill. by Barbara McClintock. Farrar, Straus & Giroux.
- Nesbitt, Kenn. 2012. The Armpit of Doom: Poems for Giftedly Mental Children. Ill. by Rafael Domingos. CreateSpace.
- Newman, Leslea. 2012. October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard. Candlewick.
- Ode, Eric. 2012. When You're a Pirate Dog and Other Pirate Poems. Ill. by Jim Harris. Pelican.
- Opie, Iona and Peter Opie. Eds. 1992/2012. I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book. Somerville, MA: Candlewick. (Reissued)
- A Poem as Big as New York City: Little Kids Write About the Big Apple. Ill. by Masha D’yans. New York: Teachers Writers Collaborative.
- Prelutsky, Jack. 2012. I’ve Lost My Hippopotamus. Ill. by Jackie Urbanovic. Greenwillow.
- Rose, Caroline Starr. 2012. May B. Random House.
- Rosen, Michael J. 2012. Running with Trains, A Novel in Poetry and Two Voices. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Rosen, Michael. 2012. Bananas in My Ears: A Collection of Nonsense Stories, Poems, Riddles, & Rhymes. Ill. by Quentin Blake. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Rosenthal, Betsy. 2012. Looking for Me. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Ross, Gary. 2012. Bartholomew Biddle and the Very Big Wind. Ill. by Matthew Myers. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
- Shange, Ntozake. 2012. Freedom's a-Callin Me. Ill. by Rod Brown. Amistad/Collins.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2012. The Boy Who Cried Alien. Ill. by Brian Biggs. Hyperion.
- Singer, Marilyn, 2012. Every Day's a Dog's Day: A Year in Poems. Dial.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2012. A Strange Place to Call Home: The World’s Most Dangerous Habitats and the Animals That Call Them Home. Ill. by Ed Young. Chronicle.
- Singer, Marilyn. 2012. The Superheroes Employment Agency. Ill. by Noah Z. Jones. Clarion.
- Sklansky, Amy E. 2012. Out of This World: Poems and Facts About Space. Knopf.
- Smith, Charles R., Jr. 2012. Stars in the Shadows: The Negro League All-Star Game of 1934. Ill. by Frank Morrison. Atheneum.
- Swain, Gwenyth. 2012. Hope and Tears: Ellis Island Voices. Honesdale, PA: Boyds Mills Press/Calkins Creek.
- Thomas, Joyce Carol. 2012. In the Land of Milk and Honey. Ill. by Floyd Cooper. New York: HarperCollins.
- Tregay, Sarah. 2012. Love & Leftovers. Katherine Tegen Books.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. Eds. 2012. The Poetry Friday Anthology. Princeton, NJ: Pomelo Books.
- Weston, Robert Paul. 2012. Prince Pugly. Razorbill.
- Wilson, Jacqueline. Ed. 2012. Green Glass Beads. Pan Macmillan Children's.
- Wong, Janet. 2012. Declaration of Interdependence: Poems for an Election Year. PoetrySuitcase.
- Yolen, Jane. 2012. Bug Off! Creepy Crawly Poems. Ill. by Jason Stemple. Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Yolen, Jane. 2012. Ekaterinoslav: One Family's Passage to America, a Memoir in Verse. Duluth, MN: HolyCow! Press.
- Yolen, Jane. 2012. The Emily Sonnets. Ill. by Gary Kelley. Creative Editions.
Also... for adults, but with appeal to teens:
Petras, Kathryn & Ross. 2012. The Anthology of Really Important Modern Poetry: Timeless Poems By Snooki, John Boehner, Kanye West and Other Well-Versed Celebrities. Workman.
*a hilarious tongue-in-cheek book of "found" poetry with poems made from the actual comments of various celebrities
Also a poetry-related work:
Burak, Kate. 2012. Emily’s Dress and Other Missing Things. New York: Roaring Brook.
Image credit: evakipler.com
Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2012. All rights reserved.
Thanks for this, Sylvia!
I am always so excited to look at your sneak peek and anticipate the many books to watch for as the spring books begin to arrive. I will keep your list on my bulletin board and check each new book of poetry or novel in verse as I get them.
Thanks for including May B. here!
Sylvia, what a fun surprise to see "When You're a Pirate Dog" on the list! Thank you for including it.
Hi Sylvia - I too was thinking about the multicultural trend in awarded verse novels. I like it! Thanks for sharing your list. Much to look forward to.
Yes, it is great that multicultural poetry voices really seem to be coming to the fore. I'm hoping to pick up some of those titles when I'm in Canada next month (a bit closer to the US than the UK so surely I'll find them?!). And thank you for this list - definitely some treats in store. I've earmarked it...
You are just generous. That's all there is to it. What a delightful taste of all that's to come in 2012. Thank you, Sylvia! a.
It is refreshing to see so many poetry books slated to be released.
A bit stunned to see Mr. Florian coming out with 'Poem Runs' -- I of course welcome anything that he writes as he helps to set the industry quality bar very high. I am working on a baseball poetry project myself, so it will be interesting to see how he approaches this book. I hope it's great -- after all, no two poems are the same!
Can't wait for all the children's poetry fun! Thanks Sylvia.
Thanks, Sylvia ~ I'm especially excited to read Betsy Rosenthal's new book!
Thank you Sylvia.
Can't wait for all the children's poetry fun :) :)
What a fabulous list you have here! So many things to look forward to this year. I just received an advance reader's copy of Margarita Engle's Wild Book, and I cant wait to read and feature it. Will definitely bookmark this post of yours.
I've printed out this list and can't thank you enough for it! As Ed noted, it's good to see so many new poetry books to look forward to !
Wow! So many great books of poetry to look forward to!
And any new Poetry Tag eBooks on the horizon? (fingers crossed)
Thank you so much for the update, Sylvia! What a wonderful compilation of what's to come.
Lovely to see so many familiar names here, and new ones to discover, too. I fell behind in 2011, but I'm using your list to make sure I don't do that in 2012. Thanks, Sylvia!
Post a Comment