Monday, October 04, 2010

ICDL poetry for kids


I'm doing a bit of research and ran across a reference to digitized poetry books available through one of my favorite global resources in children's literature, the International Children's Digital Library. This is a unique repository of FREE full-text children's books from around the world. I've searched it before and shared it with my students, but oddly enough, I hadn't looked for POETRY books there til now. Silly me.

Here, you'll find two hundred plus examples of poetry for kids-- with the COMPLETE BOOK available online in its original language! That includes children's poetry in Serbian, Farsi, Spanish, English, Croatian, Dutch, Hungarian, German, Arabic, and Hebrew and more...

Plus, they have a new iPad app that links to over 4,000 titles of children's books in 54 languages representing 64 countries.

FYI, if this resource is new to you, let me share their "mission statement" with you:

The mission of the International Children’s Digital Library Foundation (ICDL Foundation) is to support the world’s children in becoming effective members of the global community – who exhibit tolerance and respect for diverse cultures, languages and ideas — by making the best in children’s literature available online free of charge. The Foundation pursues its vision by building a digital library of outstanding children’s books from around the world and supporting communities of children and adults in exploring and using this literature through innovative technology designed in close partnership with children for children.

Posting (not poem) by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2010. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

Amy L V said...

Thank you so much, Sylvia, for sharing this fabulous resource. I will link to you tomorrow to continue the ripple effect. And tonight...I'll be poking around in different languages of poetry. Beautiful! A.

Akshitaa (Pakhi) said...

Thanks a lot. Its Great !!

डा0 हेमंत कुमार ♠ Dr Hemant Kumar said...

Respected Mam,
It's your great work .And it should make a history.I think From all countries of world(for every language)writers,poets and publishers should be invited for sending selected books of their language.
I think there is no any collection like this is presently in the world.
Best Wishes.
Hemant

Michelle said...

I love poetry and just starting to get into the wonderful world of children's poetry. Not much is out there about current children's poets, so I'm so glad I found your site. The links to children's poet's sites is so useful. I have a 5 and 3 year old so we're always looking for wonderful reads to spark their interest!