Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Another Best Blog List

I recently got word that a list of "Top 100 Poetry Blogs" had been compiled. And of course I was thrilled to be on it. (Check out #85-- which claims that I am a "published poet" which I am not, nor do I aspire to be. I'm just a big fan!) Lists like these are almost as interesting for what they leave OFF, as for what they INCLUDE, so please share your thoughts and opinions. Here's the overview.

Top 100 Poetry Blogs
By L. Fabry
No longer relegated to textbooks, libraries, and anthologies, poets now have an array of options for reading poetry, posting, the latest in news, and more, thanks to the internet. Below are 100 blogs and sites for every poet, from a seasoned professional to a child reading their first poem. The 100 blogs are divided up into the following interesting categories:

Collected Works
Visit the below sites for works of various authors, the latest in poetry news, interviews, and more.

Original Work
These poets use their blogs to display their work, post appearance dates, along with advice, tips, and musings.

For Children
Kids and their parents will enjoy visiting the below sites for original work, writing help, along with loads of fun.

Video and Audio Poetry
Sometimes poetry is just better when read by a professional. Visit the below sites for hundreds of poems with sound, and occasionally pictures and video.

So, check it out:
Top 100 Poetry Blogs

Posting (not poem) by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2009. All rights reserved.

Image credit:
babynamegames.wordpress.com

11 comments:

Tricia said...

Hi Sylvia,

I was certainly disappointed in the what was left off. There are many sites not wholly focused on poetry where some terrific substitutes could have been made. Kristine O'Connell George's web site is a veritable dream for kids, teachers and poets alike. Joyce Sidman also has a terrific web site. I was also shocked that Kenn Nesbitt's site was missing, as it's definitely a gold mine.

I'm a huge fan of the KR blog, and it is noticeably absent, as is the Kenyon Review site itself.

I could go on ...
As you mentioned, the information may not be accurate. I love Chicken Spaghetti, but I wouldn't call it a site for kids.

Thanks for highlighting this list.

Sylvia Vardell said...

I so agree!
And FlorianCafe and Miss Rumphius...
I'm working on my own list, are you?

Andromeda Jazmon said...

cool! I saw your name on that list and came over here to see if you had seen it. Somehow or other my blog got listed too. I have no idea how I ended up with such great company, as I think the rest of you are way beyond me. I guess it comes from hanging out with the right crowd!!

I think Miss Rumphius http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/ definitely should have been listed after her fabulous posts all through April.

Marinela said...

Thanks for sharing this list :)

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for stopping by. Perhaps we need our own children's-poetry-lovers list!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Sylivia,

A number of the children's blogs listed aren't blogs--they're websites. In addition, a number of the listed children's blogs don't even have a special focus on poetry. I'm puzzled. For sure, Poetry for Children and A Wrung Sponge belong on the list.

I agree with Andi. The Miss Rumphius Effect should definitely be inlcuded on the list--especially after Tricia's fantastic National Poetry Month project this year. Tricia has a wealth of children's poetry resources available at her blog.

Sylvia Vardell said...

I agree, Elaine. And I would include Wild Rose Reader (and your new Political Verses) on any list of poetry blogs! I'm working on a list of my own and hope to post soon. Please point out any other lists you'd like to highlight...

Anonymous said...

Very powerful approach and a very daring project. This is wonderful, madam! I so far have not followed your creativity, but it shall be forgiven and we - become your constant reader
Greetings to you and have a great weekend
Steven May

Anonymous said...

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for sharing this list. I could use some of the websites for my little poetry for kids directory:-)

Great blog by the way:-)
Milou

Dissertation Help said...

Nice, accurate and to the point. Not everyone can provide information with proper flow. Good post. I am going to save the URL and will definitely visit again. Keep it up.

play school said...

Hi,

Thanks for given a useful list