Sunday, June 12, 2011

Bologna Book Fair 2011

As co-editor of the journal, Bookbird, the IBBY journal on international children's literature, I've been required (!) to attend the annual Bologna Children's Book Fair in Bologna, Italy for the last 3 years. It's been such a treat-- a lifetime dream, actually-- and such an eye-opener in appreciating the truly global world of children's book publishing.

This year, I took my FlipCam with me with the idea of asking my international colleagues to read a poem (from newly published poetry books) in various languages. What fun that was! I'll be featuring 7 of those in the week ahead (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Dutch, and English), but in the mean time, I thought I might share 2 short (1-3 minute) videos I made of the Fair itself. Just FYI for background, before focusing on the poetry, in particular. Enjoy!




And here's a short piece on the special Lithuanian exhibit of children's book art.




Posting and videos by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2011. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thank you for this wonderful, virtual tour! The Lithuanian display - so intriguing.