Thursday, April 14, 2016

Science + Poetry = Seeds and seed dispersal

Here is the next installment in my series of science poetry tied to science-themed picture books. My graduate student, Kristin Hill (in my "Poetry for Children" class) selected the focus on “seeds and seed dispersal” from the series of professional resource books, "Picture Perfect Science Lessons" by Karen Ansberry and Emily Morgan (and published by the National Science Teachers Association). Here are her three infographics centered around seeds and seed dispersal. The focus picture book pair is:
  • Flip, Float, Fly: Seeds on the Move by JoAnn Early Macken
  • Who Will Plant a Tree? by Jerry Pallotta
The poem that works perfectly with this book pair is “Bye, Bye, Berries” by Carole Gerber from her book, Seeds, Bees, Butterflies and More. Below is a graphic featuring all these books, followed by the featured poem, and then the Take 5 activities to accompany the poem along with a "bonus" poem, “Pumpkin Experiment” by Mary Lee Hahn from The Poetry of Science. Enjoy!




Science of poetry graphics created by Kristin Hill

Image credit: dialoguealumninews.wordpress.com

5 comments:

Mary Lee said...

Thanks for "planting" my pumpkin poem in this patch!

Sylvia Vardell said...

And thank you for sharing your pumpkin patch experiences in this fun poem!

Sarah @ Share it! Science said...

I love this! Sharing with my readers on social media. Thanks!

Maria Gianferrari said...

I love A Seed is Sleepy (as well as the other Aston/Long collaborations).

It's not directly related to sees, but I also love the rhythm of WEEDS FIND A WAY by Cindy Jenson-Elliott :)

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for stopping by and sharing too, Sarah. I appreciate your support in getting the word out to the science community.

And I'm with you, Maria, I love all the Aston/Long books too-- beautiful written, beautifully illustrated, and information rich! Plus thanks for the tip on WEEDS FIND A WAY.