Thursday, April 07, 2016

Science + Poetry = Birds and beaks

Here’s the next installment in my series of science poetry tied to science-themed picture books. My graduate student, Chazley Dotson (in my "Poetry for Children" class) selected the focus on “birds and differing beaks” from the series of professional resource books, "Picture Perfect Science Lessons" by Karen Ansberry and Emily Morgan (and published by the National Science Teachers Association). Here are her three infographics centered around birds and differing beaks. The focus picture book pair is:
  • Unbeatable Beaks by Stephen R. Swinburne
  • Beaks! by Sneed B. Collard III
The poetry book that works perfectly with this book pair is “Martín Pescador” by the late Francisco X. Alarcón from his book, Animals Poems of the Iguazú / Animalario del Iguazú. Below is a graphic featuring all these books, followed by the featured poem and Take 5 activities to accompany the poem along with a "bonus" poem, "Discovery / Descubrimiento" by Margarita Engle, from The Poetry of Science. Enjoy!




Science of poetry graphics created by Chazley Dotson

Image credit: dialoguealumninews.wordpress.com

5 comments:

Amy LV said...

This is fantastic. Thank you! We go to a nature weekend every year, and they have all different simulated beaks and things to pretend to eat with them. It's a wonderful hands on display that helps children (and adults) explore how differently shaped beaks serve different birds. I want to buy these resources here to help children extend their understandings beyond my very simple new book. Much gratitude! xo

Sylvia Vardell said...

:-) Glad this is helpful, Amy! Personally, I love birds and was so glad a student chose this topic. And I'm a big fan of YOUR new book, EVERY DAY BIRDS!

Maria Gianferrari said...

Unbeatable Beaks is one of my all-time favorite books, Sylvia! I heard Stephen Swinburne perform it using bongo drums during a lit festival at Keene State College in NH many years ago, and it was wonderful!

And it gives me double pleasure as a self-proclaimed bird nerd :).

Thanks!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Cool! Steve is speaking in two weeks at my Poetry Round Up at the Texas Library Association, so I'll have to ask him about those bongos too!

Maria Gianferrari said...

Definitely do, Sylvia! It was so fun and had a really catchy beat that was unbeatable ;).