Friday, September 26, 2014

ALSC Institute Wrap up: The Science of Poetry


This time last week, I was attending the ALSC Institute in Oakland, California. It was a great event, well-organized by Nina Lindsay and her team, and full of super-librarians full of energy and enthusiasm and a bunch of great author talks. I was honored to present alongside the fabulous Janet Wong, Susan Blackaby, Alma Flor Ada, Isabelle Campoy, and Margarita Engle. Here are a few nuggets from our presentations on The Science of Poetry. Enjoy!

First up, we're so thrilled to be featured on the ALSC Blog. Thank you, Jill Hutchison, for her wonderful summary of our Thursday session here and to Karen Choy, for her lovely write up of our Saturday session here.


Alma Flor Ada, Susan Blackaby, Janet Wong, Isabelle Campoy

Margarita Engle, Susan Blackaby, Janet Wong 

And here are a few short video clips of our poets reading their poetry aloud-- always a treat.
   






From The Poetry Friday
Anthology for Science
From The Poetry Friday
Anthology for Science
We also had heaps of bananas (to go with a banana poem) and heaps of giveaway cards and books like these (with downloadable printables available at PomeloBooks.com).

The next biennial ALSC Institute will be held in 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Can't wait!

YALSA, the young adult arm of ALA is having its YALSA Institute in November in Austin and I'll be there too presenting alongside: K. A. Holt, Sara Holbrook, Guadalupe Garcia McCall, Michael Salinger, Janet Wong, and Jacqueline Woodson. What a line up, right?! Come on by for our presentation on Sun., Nov. 16.

Now head on over to Writing the World for Kids hosted by Laura Purdie Salas for more Poetry Friday fun.

6 comments:

laurasalas said...

THanks for these wonderful video clips! I know your session was fantastic--congratulations!

Mary Lee said...

I'm getting excited for NCTE!! (Now I have to get to WORK for NCTE...)

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I love, love, love when you post these little video clips, Sylvia, and let me come along for the ride! :

Linda said...

I agree with everyone else. The video clips are wonderful! I hope I get to meet you at NCTE!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thank you all for your sweet words. It takes some doing to make those videos and then load them, so I'm glad they're useful to you. I love presenting with poets and am happy to expand our reach for those who were not able to attend. I plan to do the same for the YALSA presentation (and others) too!

Bridget Magee said...

I'm in agreement, the video clips help me "be there then". =)