Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Poetry Friday Party is HERE!


Welcome to the Poetry Friday party!

Today is the perfect day to go public with our plans for our next installment in The Poetry Friday Anthology series! Drum roll…


The Poetry Friday Anthology for CELEBRATIONS!

We’ll be gathering poems related to more than 100 holidays (like Halloween and July 4th), occasions (like graduation and the first day of school), and odd and interesting events (like Left Handers Day or National Yo-Yo Day). Our audience will be young children and the librarians, teachers, and families who care for them. Once again, we’ll provide “Take 5” activities for every poem.

Plus, this time we’ll be experimenting with multiple formats, each containing separate poems that, together, will form the whole book:

*some poems in paperback
*some poems presented digitally
*some poems on Pocket Poems™ cards

Ready, set, write!
If you’re interested in contributing a poem, we’ll be sharing our guidelines in September; you can email us after Sept. 1 at info@pomelobooks if you'd like to know more then.


SAMPLE POEM
Meanwhile, here’s just a sample of what we’re planning—a sample poem and Take 5! activities to accompany the poem. What’s the celebration? It’s National Dog Day! Coming up on August 26, we’ll be celebrating the 10th anniversary of this canine commemoration, first initiated in 2004 by the National Dog Day Foundation.

Hooray for Dogs!
by Janet Wong

Hooray for
search-and-rescue dogs
who help us 
when we’re lost

Hooray for
dogs we boss around
who don’t mind 
being bossed

Hooray for
dogs who sit and stay
and play fetch
with a ball

Pugs and poodles,
mutts and labs—
we love you,
drool and all!

SAMPLE Take 5! ACTIVITIES

1. Before reading this poem aloud, display some picture books about dogs or a stuffed animal dog as a backdrop or prop. Read the poem aloud slowly and pause briefly between each stanza.

2. Share the poem again and invite children to chime in on the word, “Hooray” with zest and enthusiasm while you read the rest of the poem aloud.

3. Talk about the story behind this celebration also known as International Dog Day and National Dog Appreciation Day and how dogs are helpers: working with police, assisting those with visual or other impairments, in drug detection, searching for lost people, and pulling victims from wreckage, for example. (FYI: NationalDogDay.com)

4. Pair this poem with this picture book:
When You Wander: A Search-and-Rescue Dog Story by Margarita Engle and illustrated by Mary Morgan (Holt, 2013). Read the book aloud and talk about the recommended steps for what to do when lost.

5. Follow up by reading aloud more poems about dogs, such as selections from:
*Ashman, Linda. 2008. Stella, Unleashed. New York: Sterling.
*Florian, Douglas. 2003. Bow Wow Meow Meow. San Diego: Harcourt.
*Franco, Betsy. 2011. A Dazzling Display of Dogs. Berkeley, CA: Tricycle.
*Rosen, Michael J. 2011. The Hound Dog’s Haiku and Other Poems for Dog Lovers. Somerville, MA: Candlewick.
*Singer, Marilyn, 2012. Every Day's a Dog's Day: A Year in Poems. New York: Dial.


And don’t forget to check out our previous installments (each featuring previously unpublished poems and related Take 5! activities for every poem):

Now let us know what you’re up to on this Poetry Friday in the COMMENTS section below. We’ll be rounding up throughout the day.

Here's what our Poetry Friday party-goers are up to this week:

First up is Buffy Silverman who has posted an original poem that appears in this month's Ladybug Magazine. Congratulations, Buffy! Check it out here

Laura has a poem from J. Patrick Lewis and George Ella Lyons' forthcoming collection, VOICES FROM THE MARCH ON WASHINGTON over at TeachingAuthors.


Linda is featuring a poem from INNER CHIMES over at WriteTime.


Monica has reviewed a rhyming picture book, BY WATER'S EDGE by Kay Barone, here.


Irene is sharing some of wonderful Walter Dean Myers's poems here

Liz has an original poem about hummingbirds and hope here.

Matt entertains us with an original tanka here.

Laura is announcing a new series, "Summer Reads: Chapter & Verse," and is looking for guest bloggers to pair their favorite summer books with a poem. Her sample post pairs a historical YA with Edna St. Vincent Millay's "First Fig." Check it out!

Michelle is wrapping up a month of tribute and parody poems and giving away a copy of Tamera Wissinger's THIS OLD BAND. Look for it!

BJ has an original fractured-fairytale poem, illustrated by the wonderful Julie Rowan-Zoch. Clever!

Carol is setting the stage for her new gallery of artistic expressions with a poem based on two photos of driftwood. Interesting!


Tabatha is featuring a John Keats poem today.

Mary Lee's summer travels have led her to this Journey poem.

Diane has a Sketchbook Project poem called "Shadows" from the point of view of a young girl millworker over at Random Noodling.

She's also featuring a fun poem, "Potato," by Jane Kenyon at Kurious Kitty

Catherine bravely shares an original poem about things gone wrong while the husband is away here

Kate is talking about how she uses Poetry Friday in her third grade classroom complete with a student poem.

Margaret has a Summer Poem Swap gift from Donna Smith posted today.

Donna shares an original poem, "Sea Memories," along with pictures here.

Keri has an original poem about butterflies up today

Check out "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley over at Bildungsroman

Catherine is sharing E. L. Aveline's poem, "Flowers of the Sea" here

Kelly has a post on putting together a poetry chapbook over here.

Bridget is back with an original poem about her dog's favorite past-time, chasing lizards. Check out "Endless Game of Chase."

Janet is celebrating National Day of the Cowboy (Sat., July 26, 2014) with David L. Harrison's poem, "Cowboys: Voices in the Western Wind" here

Crystal has an original poem over at Reading Through Life.

Heidi has three insta-haiku from her family vacation here.

Fats Suela is sharing a ten-year-old refugee's vision of peace from I Dream of Peace: Images of War by Children of Former Yugoslavia found here

Karen is featuring Wendell Berry today.

Tricia has a gem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for us here.

And Joy has a poem entitled "Storm" here

One more: Lorie Ann has a poem, "Nearly Fifty" complete with fun photo here! 

I think that's everybody. I'll check back and add any others who join us. Meanwhile, happy Poetry Friday, everyone. Thanks for stopping by! 



Credits: Pictomizer.com; Giphy,com; Xray.fm/shows/hooray; NationalDogDay.com; TechInsights.com; BuzzInTown.com; PCCast.Blogspot.com; PomeloBooks

42 comments:

laurasalas said...

Yay for a new Poetry Friday Anthology! The teacher recipients are loving their PFAS editions you so generously donated. Thank you!

I'm in this week with a poem from J. Patrick Lewis and George Ella Lyons' forthcoming collection, VOICES FROM THE MARCH ON WASHINGTON. It'll go live at 10 p.m. at Teaching Authors: http://www.teachingauthors.com/2014/07/PF-last-impressions.html

Thanks for hosting! And I love Hooray for Dogs:>) I've listened to quite a few A DOG CAN BE... books this week at summer school as students have shared their projects with me:>)

laurasalas said...

10 p.m. Central Time, I should have specified...

Linda said...

Thank you for hosting, Sylvia. What an exciting announcement! Celebrations is a great theme for an anthology. I love Janet's "Hooray for Dogs." Thank you for the Take 5 activities. They are such a time-saver for teachers.

I'm in today at Write Time: http://lindakulp.blogspot.com/ with a poem from the Inner Chimes collection I think many of us can relate to.

Have a great weekend! : )


Irene Latham said...

We love you drool and all. :) LOVE! (We have a new puppy... Georgia, our second Aussie. We love her accidents and all...) And what fun Take Five activities... I think FUN shall be the theme of the new book! Congratulations on the new project. Wonderful. I'm in with some Walter Dean Myers poems, thanks to Sylvia's great list a few weeks ago. Love to you, ladies! http://irenelatham.blogspot.com/2014/07/remembering-walter-dean-myers-for.html

Liz Steinglass said...

A new Poetry Friday anthology is news worth celebrating! Thanks for sharing the news and Janet's wonderful poem, and the Take 5 activities, and for hosting today. I'm sharing a post and an original poem about hummingbirds and hope. http://elizabethsteinglass.com/2014/07/hummingbirds-and-hope/

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Thanks for hosting, Sylvia! The new PF anthology sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun - for you and the writers, as well as the readers! Today I have a short post...a little something I wrote this week that I thought I'd share: http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/poetry-friday-summer-tanka/

Author Amok said...

Hi, Ladies. Classroom activity #4 is exactly what I'm doing this summer.

Today, I'm announcing a new series: "Summer Reads: Chapter & Verse." I'm looking for guest bloggers to pair their favorite summer reads with a poem. My sample post pairs a historical YA with Edna St. Vincent Millay's "First Fig."

http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-announcement-new-series.html

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

I'll try not to drool all over it, but it sounds like another winner PFA edition! Can't wait! Thanks for hosting today, Sylvia and Janet.

On Today's Little Ditty, I'm wrapping up a month of tribute and parody poems and giving away a copy of Tamera Wissinger's THIS OLD BAND.
http://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2014/07/july-dmc-wrap-up-giveaway.html

Robyn Hood Black said...

Sylvia and Janet - This will be an anthology to CELEBRATE! Woo-hooo! Thanks for the tail-wagging sample poem here, too. (I'm on the outskirts of the Poetry Friday Dog Park Party today, with a house-ful of folks coming to visit this weekend. But I'll fix my gaze and lift my nose and POINT folks right here.)

Thanks for hosting - Woof!

BJ Lee said...

Thank you for hosting, Sylvia and Janet. What great news on the PF Anthology front and such a great topic! A toast to your brilliance! I'm in today with an original fractured-fairytale poem, illustrated by the wonderful Julie Rowan-Zoch.
http://bluewindow.weebly.com/

Carol Varsalona said...

Thank you for hosting this week's Poetry Friday. I am excited to hear about the new Poetry Friday anthology. One of the school districts that I am providing professional development to has the anthology listed as one of its resources (coincidental that the anthology is being placed on the school district's curriculum maps and you are speaking about the new edition today.)

My submission for this week's Poetry Friday can be found at http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2014/07/souvenir-from-reflect-with-me-summer.html. It is my teaser for the new gallery of artistic expressions that I will unveil in late August. The poem is based on two photos of driftwood and how I related to the images.
Thank you.

Margaret Simon said...

I'm so excited about another Poetry Friday anthology. The others are fast becoming staples in my classroom. I am a dog lover and this poem is just right with rhyme and rhythm and jumping for joy for dogs.

I have a blog gem poem especially for me by Donna Smith, a Summer Poem Swap gift. Thanks for hosting.

Margaret Simon said...

http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/blog-gem-poem-gift/
oops! Forgot the link.

Donna Smith said...

The anthology sounds great. Thanks for hosting today. Here's my original poem "Sea Memories" and lots of pictures:
http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2014/07/247.html

Tabatha said...

Thanks for hosting us today, Janet and Sylvia, and for the dog poem! I am up with a new puppy this morning. She seems to think that 4 a.m. is a great time to start the day...

My poem is by John Keats:
http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2014/07/poor-witless-elf.html

Janet Wong said...

So excited to hear about everyone's posts--can't wait to do the rounds and visit everyone! And thanks for all the enthusiasm about the new book--we're pretty looking forward to getting started with gathering poems in Sept!

Mary Lee said...

Exciting news! Time to crank up the Poetry Writing Machine!

My summer travels have led me to a Journey poem for today.

http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-you-are-there.html

Mary Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane Mayr said...

Love the idea of a celebrations book. Librarians are always looking for an excuse to celebrate!

At Random Noodling I have a Sketchbook Project poem called "Shadows," from the point of view of a young girl millworker. http://randomnoodling.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-shadows.html

Kurious Kitty has a fun poem by Jane Kenyon, "Potato." http://kuriouskitty.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-potato.html

catherinemjohnson.com said...

Looking forwarding to the celebrations book. Great idea!

I have an original poem about things gone wrong while the husband is away. http://catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/2-weeks-3-things/

jan godown annino said...

Woof!
Celebrations is a theme to set off sparklers. Can't wait for the 1 Sept. deadline to write for submission info to roll around.
Will there be a National Poetry Friday Day in it? (tee hee)
Luv Janet Wong's canine celebration here.
My bookseedstudio hasn't anything new up, in hopes that I can finally enjoy & comment on everyone's new links on PF - something I haven't achieved yet. Wish me luck!

Jan

Sylvia Vardell said...

What fun, what fun!! Thank you, earlybirds, for sharing your links and for your many lovely comments about our Celebrations project. Janet and I are looking forward to your input! Meanwhile, Happy Poetry Friday, everyone!

Katie TheLogonauts said...

How fun and exciting! Will have to check out the Celebrations book for sure. My post today is all about the power of Poetry Friday and how and why I use it in my third grade classroom. I also share a student's poem. http://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-poetry-friday-party-is-here.html

Keri said...

What a fun anthology this will be! I'll be brainstorming in preparation for Sept. 9. Love the dog poem, too! I have a Poetry Friday original poem about butterflies at http://kerirecommends.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-a-butterfly-cinquain/. Thanks for hosting!!

Little Willow said...

Best of luck with the anthology! Thanks for hosting. :)

I posted Ozymandias by Percy Bysshe Shelley at my blog, Bildungsroman: http://slayground.livejournal.com

Amy LV said...

Happy Poetry Friday and congratulations on your next project. It was such a treat to learn from Janet this week in Paramus, NJ, and reading her poem makes me excited to be home with my dogs! xo

Katie TheLogonauts said...

So sorry, just realized that I posted the link to YOUR site and not mine - please update in the summary, thank you!

http://www.thelogonauts.com/2014/07/poetry-friday.html

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a new Poetry Friday anthology!

I'm in this week with a post on putting together a poetry chapbook: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/837172.html.

Thanks so much for all you do!
Kelly

Bridget Magee said...

Excited for another Poetry Friday Anthology! I love my Science Edition.
I've been off the PF grid for a while dealing with lots of family stuff, but I'm back today to share an original poem about my dog's favorite past-time, chasing lizards. It is titled, "Endless Game of Chase" and it is at:
http://weewordsforweeones.blogspot.com/2014/07/endless-game-of-chase.html
Thanks for hosting PF today, too. = )

Rosi said...

Very excited about the new anthology. What a great topic. Thanks for posting all these awesome poems.

Janet S. said...

Thanks for hosting.

National Day of the Cowboy is Saturday, July 26, 2014.

So for this Poetry Friday my selection is "Cowboys: voices in the Western wind" poems by David L. Harrison with illustrations by Dan Burr.

Crystal said...

Thanks for hosting today. I am looking forward to the new anthology. :)

I posted an original poem over on my blog Reading Through Life http://readingtl.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday.html

Happy Friday.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

I'm late, I'm late,
for a very impoetry date!

But here I am with three insta-haiku from out family vacation this past week. Back to revel in the riches tomorrow....
http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2014/07/do-bears-live-in-woods.html

Fats Suela said...

I love the drum roll animation, Sylvia! Thank you for hosting Poetry Friday today. I'm sharing a ten-year-old refugee's vision of peace. The verses were taken from a collection called I Dream of Peace: Images of War by Children of Former Yugoslavia.

Here's the link: http://gatheringbooks.org/2014/07/25/poetry-friday-a-ten-year-olds-vision-of-peace/

Karen Edmisten said...

Seconding, thirding, and twentiething the Yays! :)

I'm running a little late, but I'm in this week with Wendell Berry. It's here. Thanks for hosting!

Tricia said...

Hi Ladies!

I'm in today with a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/2014/07/poetry-friday-tide-rises-tide-falls.html

Thanks for hosting!
Best,
Tricia

Joy said...

Thanks for hosting today. Sorry I'm so late to the party. Maybe I can help with the clean up.

I have a children's poem today titled STORM and a poetry prompt :-)
at http://www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

Oh, I like the theme for the next anthology.

JOY

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks, everybody, for joining us for our Poetry Friday party! It's great to connect again. Thanks for the enthusiastic response to our new book theme, too. We 're excited about it! Meanwhile, wishing everybody plenty of fun AND poetry this summer.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Congratulations on the next installment! Wonderful!

I didn't manage to write until Saturday morning, but here it is in honor of Poetry Friday: Nearly Fifty. Thank you!

Robyn Youl said...

Magic! The eldest in my class is 95 y.o. - the youngest 86 - but I write poetry with 12 kids at heart! I'm the baby teacher at nearly 70.
The site introduced this morning by Di Bates, the founder of Australian Children's Poetry.
Can't wait to show it to my poets on Thurdsay!!
The most fun site! Interactive too!
Robyn Youl
Bacchus Marsh
Australia

April Halprin Wayland said...

Tnanks for hosting, Sylvia!

I'm late to the party but my pointed hat is on and their are streamers in my hair!

Can't wait to begin celebration poems!

Anonymous said...

Well, I am so glad that my post surgery fog left me and I started reading blogs again. I am excited about this project!