Poetry Books for Thanksgiving
Here is a sampling of poetry books about giving thanks, celebrating Thanksgiving, and enjoying food, friends, and family times.
- Alarcón, Francisco X. 1999. Angels Ride Bikes and Other Fall Poems. San Francisco, CA: Children’s Book Press.
- Bruchac, Joseph. 1996. The Circle of Thanks. Mahwah, NJ: BridgeWater Books
- Carlstrom, Nancy White. 2002. Thanksgiving Day at Our House: Thanksgiving Poems for the Very Young. New York: Aladdin.
- Child, Lydia Maria. 2004. Over the River & Through the Woods. New York: Hyperion.
- Florian, Douglas. 2003. Autumnblings: Poems & Paintings. New York: Greenwillow.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2006. Thanks a Million: Poems. New York: Amistad.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. Ed. 1992. Ring Out, Wild Bells: Poems about Holidays and Seasons. New York: Harcourt Brace.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2000. Yummy! Eating Through a Day: Poems. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. Ed. 2005. Days to Celebrate: A Full Year of Poetry, People, Holidays, History, Fascinating Facts, and More. New York: Greenwillow.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2009. Countdown to Summer: 180 Poems for every day of the School Year. New York: Little, Brown.
- Livingston, Myra Cohn. Ed. 1985. Thanksgiving Poems. New York: Holiday House.
- Melmed, Laura Krauss. 2001. This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story. New York: HarperCollins.
- Mora, Pat. 2007. Yum! Mmmm! Que Rico!: America's Sproutings. New York: Lee & Low.
- Mordhorst, Heidi. 2009. Pumpkin Butterfly; Poems from the Other Side of Nature. Honesdale PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Philip, Neil. 2004. Hot Potato: Mealtime Rhymes. New York: Clarion.
- Prelutsky, Jack. 2007. It’s Thanksgiving! New York: HarperCollins.
- Rogasky, Barbara. Ed. 2001. Leaf by Leaf. New York: Scholastic.
- Rosen, Michael, J., Ed. 1996. Food Fight: Poets Join the Fight Against Hunger with Poems about Their Favorite Foods. San Diego, CA: Harcourt Brace.
- Salas, Laura Purdie. 2008. Shrinking Days, Frosty Nights: Poems About Fall. Minneapolis, MN: Capstone.
- Schnur, Steven. 1997. Autumn: An Alphabet Acrostic. New York: Clarion.
- Shore, Diane. 2008. This is the Feast. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Swamp, Chief Jake. 1995. Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message. New York: Lee & Low.
- Thomas, Joyce Carol. 1995. Gingerbread Days. New York: HarperCollins.
- Vardell, Sylvia and Wong, Janet. Eds. 2011. Gift Tag. PoetryTagTime.com.
- Weinstock, Robert. 2009. Food Hates You, Too. New York: Disney-Hyperion.
- Whitehead, Jenny. 2007. Holiday Stew; A Kid’s Portion of Holiday and Seasonal Poems. New York: Henry Holt.
- Wilson, Karma. 2007. Give Thanks to the Lord. Grand Rapids, MI: Zonderkids.
- Wing, Natasha. 2001. The Night Before Thanksgiving. New York: Grosset and Dunlap.
- Wong, Janet. 1996. A Suitcase of Seaweed, and Other Poems. New York: McElderry.
- Young, Ed. 1997. Voices of the Heart. New York: Scholastic.
I'm wishing all my poetry-loving friends and readers the happiest of Thanksgivings. I've had my own health struggles this fall, so I am especially grateful for all the many good things in my life.
Meanwhile, the lovely Anastasia Suen is hosting Poetry Friday at her blog, Booktalking. See you there!
And don't forget to enter our drawing for a free poetry e-book-- details below!