I have a free copy to share (along with an autographed copy of her autobiography for kids, Before It Wriggles Away) to a commenter on today’s post (chosen at random).
Meanwhile, here’s my current list of patriotic poetry for kids. Please let me know any book titles I can add to my list. Thanks!
Patriotic Poetry for Young People
Poets have written about pride in homeland, about the search for a national identity, the value of one’s cultural heritage, and finding a place in an adopted country, among other patriotic topics, for many generations. How has this been expressed in poetry for young people? Here are a few outstanding examples.
- Burg, Ann. 2009. All the Broken Pieces. New York: Scholastic.
- Clinton, Catherine. 1998. I, Too, Sing America: Three Centuries of African American Poetry. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Cohn, Amy L., comp. 1993. From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs. New York: Scholastic.
- Greenberg, Jan. 2001. Heart to Heart: New Poems Inspired by Twentieth-Century American Art. New York: Abrams.
- Gunning, Monica. 2004. America, My New Home. San Francisco, CA: Children’s Book Press.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett, Ed. 1993. Beat the Drum, Independence Day has Come: Poems for the Fourth of July. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett, Ed. 1994. Hand in Hand: An American History through Poetry. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett, Ed. 1999. Lives: Poems about Famous Americans. New York: HarperCollins.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. Ed. 2000. My America: A Poetry Atlas of the U.S. New York: Simon & Schuster.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett, Ed. 2002. Home to Me: Poems Across America. New York: Orchard.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. Ed. 2008. America at War. New York: McElderry.
- Izuki, Steven. 1994. Believers in America: Poems about Americans of Asian and Pacific Islander Descent. Chicago, IL: Children’s Press.
- Lai, Thanhha. 2011. Inside Out and Back Again. New York: HarperCollins.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2005. Good Mornin’, Miss America: The U.S.A. in Verse. School Specialty Publishing.
- Lewis, J. Patrick. 2007. The Brothers' War: Civil War Voices in Verse. Washington, DC: National Geographic.
- Littlechild, George. 1993. This Land Is My Land. San Francisco, CA: Children’s Book Press.
- Meltzer, Milton. 2003. Hour of Freedom: American History in Poetry. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press.
- Myers, Walter Dean. 2011. We are America: A Tribute from the Heart. Ill. by Christopher Myers. New York: HarperCollins.
- Panzer, Nora, Ed. 1994. Celebrate America in Poetry and Art. New York: Hyperion.
- Philip, Neil. (Ed). 1995. Singing America. New York: Viking.
- Siebert, Diane. 2006. Tour America: A Journey through Poems and Art. San Francisco: Chronicle.
- Smith, Charles R. Jr. 2003. I am America. New York: Scholastic.
- Swamp, Chief Jake. 1995. Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message. New York: Lee & Low.
- Testa, Maria. 2005. Something about America. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick.
- Whipple, Laura, comp. 1994. Celebrating America: A Collection of Poems and Images of the American Spirit. New York: Philomel Books.
- Wong, Janet. 2012. Declaration of Interdependence. Poems for an Election Year. PoetrySuitcase.
Join the rest of the gathering at Poetry Friday hosted by Greg at Gottabook. See you there!
Image credit: Janet Wong, Richard C Owen, http://khopper.blogspot.com/2009_07_01_archive.html
Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2012. All rights reserved.