Friday, July 15, 2011

5 year blog anniversary!

I can’t believe it’s been five years since I launched this blog focused entirely on poetry for young people. Thank you, readers, for your support and encouragement. I have learned so much from taking on this medium and from you all. The poetry community is such a wonderful place to play!

So what is the traditional fifth anniversary gift? Wood! To celebrate my anniversary, I’ve created a “mash up” of two of my favorite “tree” poems, with apologies to Joyce Kilmer (“Trees”) and Robert Frost (“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening”). Wishing you all a bit of shade this summer!


I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree;
A tree that looks at God all day,
The darkest evening of the year;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair
Who intimately lives with rain.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Image credit: 

Sylvia Vardell

Posting by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2011. All rights reserved.

11 comments:

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Happy Anniversary, Sylvia! I'm only one of many, many who are grateful for your championship of poetry and poets for young people.
"We think that we shall never see a blogger as lovely as Sylvi-
a."

Here's to you! *clunks overflowing handturned wood goblet against knot in pictured tree*

Rosemary Marotta said...

Happy Anniversary....I have enjoyed reading your blog ---Congrats!

Unknown said...

Happy Blogaversary!!!
I love your blog. It is a gift to writers and readers.
Hugs,
jill

Amy L V said...

Happy anniversary and "Cheers!" to you, a friend of poems and poets big and small... A.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thank you all for your very kind words and lovely wishes! I'm honored to be in your sweet circle!

Michele Krueger said...

To Sylvia, Nurturer of PoeTREE

We celebrate
your anniVERSEary,
five years of
dedicated contancy

to ROOTING for
the chirping words
of many
rainbow-colored birds

where those of us
who tweet and sing
can nest and coo
and rest our wings

your branches spread,
your green leaves sway,
you welcome migrants
on our way

here's to a blooming
blessed day

with gratitude,
Michele

Charles Waters said...

Thank you for all you've done and continue to do!

corinne@papertigers.org said...

Congratulations on your 5th Anniversary! You have an amazing wealth of info here and we visit often!

Mary Lee said...

Happy Blog Birthday! I WOOD like to wish you many more years of poetry blogging and championing!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thank you, thank you, for your outpouring of love and support-- an amazing poem tribute! I am so touched and thrilled! I feel part of a wonderful mutual admiration society. :-) Hugs to you all!

pgbooks said...

Happy Anniversary! Go Poetry! and thank you for posting video clips from the poetry blast.