Friday, July 31, 2009

Poetry Friday is here today


Welcome!




F
riends,
Rally now to share your post.
I am here to be your host.
Did I say, “Come by and share?”
Are your poems ready there?
Yes!


I’m happy to host our gathering today and invite you to leave a comment below with a link to your blog. I’ll wrangle the posts on and off throughout the day. Thanks for stopping by!

New, original poems
Charles Ghigna gets us started with his new poem, "The Worst Bad Word" on his Father Goose blog.

Elaine Magliaro is a triple threat with three postings: at Wild Rose Reader, she has her first ever Poetry Friday video, "Two Poems for Jack." At Political Verses, she has another Sarah Palin post--Sarah Palin: A Farewell Speech and Poem. (Her third is a poem by Paul Zimmer, see below.)

Bill as "FatherReader," holding down the fort for the beachgoing MotherReader, is also highlighting the poetry of Sarah Palin over at MotherReader (read by William Shatner on Conan!).

Andy is posting for The Write Sisters this week. She was inspired by William Shatner to explore the Beat poets.

Heidi Mordhorst shares her thoughts on new curriculum ideas with a poem called Backwards Day.

Stella has a short poem about Summer Days plus a quick review on her book finding this week at LearnLoveGrow.

Carmela Martino informs us that the lovely April Halprin Wayland has posted an original poem about writing a holiday story from the heart at Teaching Authors.

At Color Online check out a poem draft in response to the YA novel, Kendra by Coe Booth.

Melissa shares her first visual poem, "When," inspired by the theme of peace for this week's artwalk on Twitter.

Greg at Gottabook has an original Fib poem up today, "Boogie Boarding."

Tiel Aisha Ansari has an original sonnet celebrating the weather, "Green Skin."

Liz shares an original poem, "The Swim," in honor of her Uncle Joe at Liz in Ink.

Lorie Ann Grover went to the theater and shares her haiku response at Readertotz and at her blog, On Point.

Young poet Priya shares a new poem, "reassessment," at Book Crumbs.

Dianne White has a new poem, "Cameravision" on her blog today.


Favorite poems for the day
At Blue Rose Girls, Elaine Magliaro is sharing a poem by Paul Zimmer entitled "Dog Music."

Susan Taylor Brown (filling in for Laura Salas) brings us a round up of photo poetry today.

Tricia at Miss Rumphius is sharing a poem today by Julia Kasdorf entitled "What I Learned From My Mother."

Jama Rattigan invites us to celebrate National Pickle Month with Arlo Guthrie's "Motorcycle Song."

Diane Mayer sharing a poem today by Cornelius Eady, "The Empty Dance Shoes" at Random Noodling.

Kurious Kitty shares "Dedication on the Gift of a Book to a Child" by Hilaire Belloc.

At the Stone Arch Books blog, Senior Editor Beth Brezenoff posted a poem by Timothy Steele, "Herb Garden."

Karen Edmisten features the lovely "Hyla Brook" by Robert Frost today. And Little Willow has posted Robert Frost's "Not to Keep."

Kimberly has posted a zombie riff on Richard III at lectitans.

In a shout out to her friend, J. Patrick Lewis's Countdown to Summer, Julie Larios is showcasing one of his gems at The Drift Record.


Thoughts about poetry
Kelly Fineman has an essay on evoking mood in a poem through sound choices.

Jeannine wrote about Mother Poems by Hope Anita Smith.

Mary Lee reviewed J. Patrick Lewis' Countdown to Summer at A Year of Reading. As it happens, so did Linda at WriteTime.

Sally shares her thoughts about the novel-in-verse Seeing Emily by Joyce Lee Wong at PaperTigers.

Betsy at Fuse #8 has reviewed (and likes) David L. Harrison's Vacation; We're Going to the Ocean.

Check out Jone's thoughts about the resource book, Writing and Enjoying Haiku by Jane Reichhold.


Posting and poem by Sylvia M. Vardell © 2009. All rights reserved.
Image credit: hiraeth.squarespace.com

38 comments:

Charles Ghigna said...

Hi Sylvia!

Thanks so much for hosting this week's Poetry Friday!

I just posted my new weekly poem "The Worst Bad Word" on the FATHER GOOSE blog

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks for doing the roundup this week, Sylvia! I like your rhyming acrostic.


At Wild Rose Reader, I've posted my first ever Poetry Friday video. It has a "doggy" theme. It includes pictures of my daughter's yellow lab Jack and two of my original poems--along with some Beethoven. The short video is entitled Two Poems for Jack. (One of the poems is a triolet; the other is a mask poem.)

http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2009/07/poetry-friday-video-two-poems-for-jack.html


At Political Verses, I have another Sarah Palin post--Sarah Palin: A Farewell Speech and Poem. It includes a link to William Shatner performing an excerpt from her speech as poetry on the Conan O'Brien Show.

http://politicalverses.blogspot.com/2009/07/sarah-palin-farewell-speech-and-poem.html


At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Paul Zimmer entitled "Dog Music."

http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2009/07/poetry-friday-dog-music-by-paul-zimmer.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Sylvia!

Thanks so much for hosting. I'm in with an essay on evoking mood in a poem through sound choices. Here's the link info for you: http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/462757.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sylvia, for hosting this week. I'm in with the round-up of photo poetry (filling in for Laura Salas) http://susanwrites.livejournal.com/248269.html

Tricia said...

Hi Sylvia,
I'm sharing a poem today by Julia Kasdorf entitled What I Learned From My Mother.
http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/2009/07/poetry-friday-what-i-learned-from-my.html

Thanks for hosting! Have a great weekend.

jama said...

Hi Sylvia,

I'm celebrating National Pickle Month with Arlo Guthrie's "Motorcycle Song."
http://jamarattigan.livejournal.com/307742.html.

Thanks for hosting!

Andrea Murphy said...

Andy is posting for The Write Sisters this week. She was inspired by William Shatner to explore the Beat poets.

Thanks for hosting, Sylvia!

Jeannine Atkins said...

Sylvia, Thank you for hosting. I wrote about Mother Poems by Hope Anita Smith on my blog at
http://jeannineatkins.livejournal.com/

Mary Lee said...

Sylvia, I see you reviewed J. Patrick Lewis' COUNTDOWN TO SUMMER back in April. I just got my copy and I reviewed it this week! Great book, isn't it?!?!!!

My review is here!

Diane Mayr said...

I'm sharing a poem by Cornelius Eady, "The Empty Dance Shoes" at
Random Noodling. Have a great weekend!

KURIOUS KITTY said...

Thanks for hosting! Kurious Kitty shares "Dedication on the Gift of a Book to a Child" by Hilaire Belloc.

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Hello, Sylvia, and TFH (thanks for hosting)!

I'm reflecting on some new curriculum ideas with a poem called
Backwards Day

Stella said...

Thank you for hosting Sylvia. I enjoyed starting my day with your acrostic poem. I wrote a short poem about Summer Days plus a quick review on my book finding for this week. You can find it right here: http://learnlovegrow.blogspot.com/2009/07/poetry-friday_31.html

Sally said...

PaperTigers is in with a post about the novel-in-verse Seeing Emily by Joyce Lee Wong.

Linda said...

Hi Sylvia,
Thanks for hosting, love your acrostic!

I have a review of J Patrick Lewis' wonderful new collectin Countdown to Summer over at http://ldkwritetime.blogspot.com
Have a great Friday!

Carmela Martino said...

Hello,
April Halprin Wayland posted an original poem about writing a holiday story from the heart at Teaching Authors today:
http://www.teachingauthors.com/2009/07/open-heart-surgerywriting-holiday-story_31.html .

Thanks for hosting!

Color Online said...

I just finished Kendra by Coe Booth. This is YA realistic fiction and it's pretty raw. I posted an original draft I wrote previously that reflects one of the conflicts of the novel.

The book is emotionally draining. The draft is not but it is sobering.

Melissa said...

Thank you so much for hosting!! I love how you have the selections categorized for us!! For Poetry Friday I have the first visual poem I've ever written, "When," inspired by the theme "peace" for this week's #artwalk on twitter. Thanks again!!

http://windspirit-girl.livejournal.com/8793.html

Beth Brezenoff, Assistant Editorial Director said...

Hi Sylvia! Thanks for hosting this week!

At the Stone Arch Books blog, I posted a poem by Timothy Steele, "Herb Garden." Here's the link:

http://stonearchbooks.blogspot.com/2009/07/poetry-friday-their-fragrances-and.html

Bill said...

"FatherReader" here, holding down the fort for the beachgoing MotherReader. But in her absence, she still wanted to make sure that she didn't miss Poetry Friday, and asked me to post today.

Not that we're the first, but we also highlighted the poetry of Sarah Palin over at MotherReader.

Hope everyone's having a great Friday, and thanks for hosting this week's roundup!

Greg Pincus said...

I managed to toss up an original (in Fib form) even with no reliable net access - I'm currently sitting outside a closed library in 100 degree heat, in fact. Gah.

Boogie Boarding

Thanks for hosting, Sylvia!

Tiel Aisha Ansari said...

An original poem celebrating the weather: Green Skin

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for hosting!

I've got Robert Frost and Hyla Brook today. It's here.

Liz in Ink said...

Hi Sylvia... Thank you for hosting today! I've got an original poem in honor of my Uncle Joe...
http://liz-scanlon.livejournal.com/119827.html

jama said...

Sylvia,

Is it my imagination, or is the link you've posted for Father Goose wrong? Thanks :).

Marjorie said...

Hello, Sylvia - I love the welcome :-)

Just to let you know that the direct link to Sally's PaperTigers post about Seeing Emily is http://www.papertigers.org/wordpress/poetry-friday-seeing-emily/

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Hey Sylvia! Thanks for hosting. :~)

Over at readertotz and On Point I have cross posted my original haiku and photo Broadway Across America. The Lion King was fantastic!

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for the corrections and additions, Jama and Marjorie. Done!

Kimberly @ lectitans said...

Thanks for hosting! I'm in with some Richard III:

http://lectitans.livejournal.com/84616.html

Fuse #8 said...

I too have just reviewed, Vacation: We're Going to the Ocean by David L. Harrison at http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1790000379/post/1050047105.html. Thanks!

Stenhouse said...

This week's poem on the Stenhouse blog is by Mark Twain. We are also still accepting poems about teaching lives for our poetry contest.

Priya said...

Thanks for hosting! I've posted up an original poem at my blog, Book Crumbs:

http://priyaganesan.blogspot.com/2009/07/reassessment.html

Julie said...

Hi, Sylvia- thanks for hosting this week. I've taken a little time off from my Poetry Friday posts this summer, but since J. Patrick Lewis's COUNTDOWN TO SUMMER is out, I have one of his divinely silly poems linked over at The Drift Record

Little Willow said...

Thank you for hosting today, Sylvia!

I posted Not to Keep by Robert Frost at Bildungsroman.

Happy end-of-July and beginning-of-August to all of the Poetry Friday folks.

jone said...

Am late, sorry! Here is my continued thoughts on the haiku book I am reading.
http://maclibrary.edublogs.org/2009/07/31/poetry-friday-summer-book-study-for-one/

Dianne said...

Hi, Sylvia!

Thanks for hosting this week. My poem, "Cameravision" is here.

Shabsblog said...

Hi Sylvia,
Your blog is cool!

Danny Errico said...

This is the first time I've discovered Poetry Friday. Great idea!